Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Drag u Tue - Nominated By Loved Ones

You know what time it is. No, it's not adventure time. It's Drag U time; Time to take three women and need and make them into glamorous drag-queen-things! I was especially looking forward to this episode because  former MVP (most vivacious professor) and my favorite Drag Racer ever, Pandora Boxx, is finally on the screen for more than fifteen seconds! Commence the obligatory bad screen cap!


The episode stars three women who have been nominated by those who love them to get a make over and become the women they are on the inside. Randi (Vanessa Du Jour) is a dog enthusiast who is left in the care of Drag Race season one winner Bebe.  Liz (Britney Ciccone) is a lesbian with body issues paired with Pandora. Latonya (Tres Jolie) is a not-so-womanly truck driver studying under Mariah. This episode definitely has a lot of promise. The only thing that could make this episode better is if Manila was around to make me laugh. She's in the drag tips section? Looks like we have a winner!

Given who the professors are, the prof on prof drama was kept to a minimum. There was a three second clip where Bebe tried to take a boa that Mariah planned on using, but it really didn't go anywhere. I'm almost certain now that every ounce of drama on this show is perpetuated by Raven. When is she coming back again? The rest of the drama had to do with fighting between the girls and their mentors. Randi was all over the place, having the attention span of a fly. Liz refused to wear pink, but that didn't last long, and after some intense staring from Mariah, Latonya abandoned all hope of a purple dress in place of a silver one.

The Lady Lesson this week was rather unusual -- even for Lady Bunny standards. I guess the theme of the episode was too vague to fit in a lesson so they just made them do yoga... Yoga named after celebrities. They did moves named after Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and even and all-fours position called The Paris Hilton. Lady Bunny is always hilarious and fun to have around, even if some of her jokes fall flat (such as "Fatness Instructor").

My main beef with this episode centrals around Bebe. I'm not really sure how to take her. Sometimes, she is this fierce queen looking amazing and standing strong, and others shes just kind of there. She continues to recycle the phrase "Im from Africa" over and over. We know you are. We can tell from your accent. I'm told you've also lived in both France and the US for extended periods of time, so Africa is not an excuse, nor is it a defense. All griping aside, she did win the first season of Drag Race, and it does show in her appearance. She is always spot on and looks amazing.


The dance class had me disappointed for all of five seconds. No Andre again this week, but damn, this instructor is just as hot (if not more?)! His name is Jamal and everyone has a crush on him. Little do they know that I have my own plot to steal him away in the dark of the night! Ok, that was creepy, even by my standards. I honestly can't remember anything about the dance itself. I was too focused on Jamal...

I have to say that Mariah is one of the more interesting queens on the show. She has a way of being caddy without it hurting her in any way. Sure, Raven does that, but Mariah doesn't have the background of being a complete bitch. On Drag Race, she wasn't the nicest queen, but she definitely wasn't shady in the least. I like her way of being assertive with humor. She says things like a joke, but forcefully enough to make you know you better watch it. This episode also showed her softer side when she talked to her student about carrying on after loosing a loved one.

I was a bit saddened by how little screen time Pandora got. I know it wasn't going to be the Pandora Boxx hour, like I had imagined it in my head, but she was the least featured queen in the episode. I barely got to see her second outfit at all (and it was cute! Couldn't even get a screen cap of that shiz). I was hoping to have some kind of focus on her like Raven and Mariah seem to get so often. Maybe it is because she's so laid back. Even in Drag Race she generally stayed out of drama, and drama is what gets ratings. Oh well. I still love you, Lady Boxx!

Draguation came quick and the girls looked stunningly close to their Dragulator predictions. Latonya looked pretty good. I wish her dress had been shorter, though. I bet she had some killer legs. Randi had the weakest outfit of all. I didn't like the back poof and the shoulders. She was channeling a bit of the Ongina spirit with that cute hat, though. Liz was my favorite. Her makeup was a bit off (my one critique of Pandora every time), but her dress was cute and poofy. He legs looked rockin' and her heels were to die for. In the end, Latonya won. I can't say I was upset about it, but I wanted my Pandora protege to be at the top of the class!


This week's drag tips segment was all about the uses of milk of magnesia. Yeah.... So Shannel told all of the viewers how queens put a bit of it on their face before putting on makeup. It is also good under the arms, on the feet, and anywhere else you might need to use it. I guess Shannel was too classy to demonstrate these uses, so they employed Manila to get the job done. Gotta love that lady's sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment