Saturday, October 18, 2014

Drag Queen Magazine Debuts First Issue

It's happened. After years of drag being just a 'special issue' version of magazines like "Out Magazine", the ladies of drag finally have a magazine that is all them, all the time. It has fashion, celebrities, and tips and tricks for everyone from beginners to pros. Why don't you take a look at Drag Queen Magazine?


OK, so I'm sure there are other drag-focused magazines out there, but this is the first to come across my (metaphorical) desk.

First off, let me say that yes, that is RuPaul's Drag Race season one Jade on the cover. How they landed her for their first issue, I'll never know, but what I do know is that started off with a bang. Inside is a six page article packed with interviews and pictures for Jade about a crazy variety of topics. I guess they just wanted to get things started right. And a little birdy has told me that things are only going up from here, and you should definitely keep your eyes out for next month's issue.

Inside is an array of topics from must have accessories to what the best song/costume combo is for a Halloween themed show. They also speak with the mastermind behind the amazing Dr.a.g coffee table book. Trust me, there's a lot here. What I really love about the magazine is that they are truly involved in the community.  In the back pages you can find a list of gay/gay-friendly bars from across the country, as well as a way to submit clubs and bars to be added so that everyone can have a safe haven to go and feel like themselves.

If I had to criticize anything about this project it would have to be the simplicity of it all. By this, I mean that it doesn't exactly look like a magazine on the inside (placement of columns, photoshopping in places), but with the time and budge they had, it really did come out well. And I'm sure that over time, they will develop a sleek style, and that issues will flow more naturally.

For now, we can check out the first issue to get all the T. Find shows around the country (like Miss Coco Peru's!) and piece together your Halloween look with the help of your drag galpals. Be sure and check out both their Facebook page, for all the latest info, and their brand new homepage so you can subscribe and get issues instantly on your computer. Remember, bitches, it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment