Monday, August 8, 2011

Song of the Week - Arrow Through My Heart

This week's song of the week is from an unlikely source. Kimberly Cole was not really "on my radar" until her latest single. Before hand, she was a bit middle of the road in the pop category. I liked "Smack You" but it wasn't in my top ten. And then, out of the blue, she releases a new single -- and this thing is as far from "middle of the road" as a pop song can get.


By that, I mean that she picked a definite niche that has yet to be fully explored by the pop industry. Pop has now officially gone Dubstep. Some of you (you know who you are, in particular) will be very quick to tell me that other pop stars have dabbled in dubstep before. Britney's hit "Hold It Against Me" had a breakdown that exploited the genre, but no pop song (to my knowledge) has plunged off the deep end like this song.

Like many people, I don't quite know how to describe dubstep. It uses heavy distortion effects on the bass lines of song to create a "wah wah" sound, and uses every sound a keyboard can make. My only problem was the lack of lyrics. Sure, a few people made lyrics to the songs but those were very few. I liked the music, I just needed something to sing along with. Kimberly provided me with this opportunity and thus I commend her. This song is definitely on a different level from what she's done before. I hope she continues this trend in the future.

You can preview and purchase the track on iTunes here

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does everything look like it's starting to reach into an 80's grab bag when it comes to album covers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one approve of all this dubstep leaking into pop music these days, like with this song :D

    @LJ

    Nope, you are not alone! Thank goodness, it's not just me noticing the sudden trend in covers turning to the eighties for design inspiration. Must be a nostalgia thing.

    ReplyDelete