Sunday, August 21, 2011

Decision 2011: GaoSalad's Drag U MVP

You see, you gotta speed it up, and then you gotta slow it down. Cause if you believe that a love can hit the top, you gotta play around. And soon you will find that there comes a time for making your mind up. Damn, typing out Bucks Fizz lyrics makes me feel even gayer than I really am. But their lyrics seem to ring a bell for me. I tried fast and slow, but my love for drag queens has finally come to a head -- I've picked just one.



And please, before you read on, remember: I love both of these queens very much, but much like the Highlander, there can only be one! Well until next season, anyway.

I really did think about this for days. I have been a Fandora since I first laid eyes on her. She was quirky and fun. Manila, however, took a while to grow on me. She was in a metaphorical sea of drag queens among the many selected for season three, and with so many, it took her a while to stand out. As the season progressed, she stayed strong, and out-shined the rest of the cast time after time. She had a well rounded personality and wasn't afraid to get caddy. What can I say? I love bitches. And who better to be a bitchy lady than a Heather?

I guess when it came down to it, I just love Manila, and in the context of the show, she just works for me. She brings in the drama, she cares about her students, and she looks totally fabulous pretty much all the time. I just couldn't stop myself. I voted for Manila Luzon.



Yes, yes, I know. I have done nothing but hype up Pandora Boxx for the past, like, forever, but I just wasn't feeling her as much in Drag U. She did very well and was funny to boot, but I didn't feel as strong of a connection with her students. She is an amazing person, and I'll be a fan of her's as long as I am on this Earth, but to quote RuPaul herself, this "like the real world, is a competition" and Manila did it for me just a bit better.

A big part of my decision was from the girls in their episode. A bit of an unfair advantage for Manila is that she has been featured in the show more. Sure, as of now, she only has been in one more episode than Pandora, but still, that kept her in the spotlight more. It might have even just been that she naturally grabs attention. I was always drawn to her and what she was doing.

This brings me to my next point. She is good at starting drama. I know first hand how difficult it is to perpetuate drama, but still look like a sweetheart, and this girl can do it well. Insults hidden behind a cute smile are always her strong suite, especially when firing names back and forth with Lady Bunny during lady lessons. Her quick wit got made her one of my top queens, and it totally works for her in the context of the show. Sure, the main point is to help these women get confidence, but if it was about only that, it would be really boring. You've got to have some drama and some sass to keep the episodes entertaining, and every time Manila is on the screen, she brings just that. With hilarious and fashionable costumes and a fabulous personality, I have no shame in naming Manila Luzon my Drag U MVP.

It was unbelievably hard to pick just one. I love them all! (And I don't want any Fandora hate mail). They are all talented, but I had to go with my gut. Maybe they won't get too mad when they see how far behind Manila is and how far ahead Pandora is... Well then again I haven't started my rabid voting yet! But please, whether you are a Fandora, a Fanila, or any other drag queen name punned fanbase, please go to the official LogoTV blog here and VOTE! For this to be a fair fight everyone needs to vote so that the true Drag U Most Vivacious Professor can be rightfully crowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment