Monday, August 15, 2011

Decision 2011: Drag U MVP Round Two

It's been a long haul. I've had a lot of distractions lately, but I really think I am making progress in deciding who my Drag U Most Vivacious Professor is. I have narrowed it down to two. I just can't make up my mind. I've been informed time and time again that I can vote multiple times for multiple queens, but as I've said before, that will do nothing but buffer the scores and keep them in the same places. I need to pick one. Just one. But who?



My first finalist is Pandora Boxx. I have loved her since I first laid eyes on her. She was always being judged harshly by the judges. I was outraged when she got sent home and I almost stopped watching the show that season... Almost. I think the thing that makes Ms. Boxx so lovable is her open personality. Her comedic timing is impeccable and her style is an amazing representation of said comedy. Always quirky and always fun, Pandora seems like the perfect candidate.

What makes Pandora a top notch professor is her background. Pandora revealed in Drag Race that she had attempted suicide in the past. It really made a lot of sense in terms of her humor. Humor is therapeutic. I feel she does an amazing job at transitioning her life experiences towards helping out the ladies going through the turmoils of their lives. She took away so much from this dark period in her life and is now using it to help others.

On the negative side, her humor can get a little too campy for Drag U. Don't get me wrong, I love drag camp. I think it is the best "flavor" of drag there is. My problem lies in the use in the series. Her humor seems a bit out of place. Much like the random drama in the series, it is fun to watch, but not always to the point. The premise of the show is helping these girls, and sometimes her jokes just don't translate. Don't take this as an attack, Fandoras (I am one of you, too). I'm just pointing out my opinion.



My other top pick is Manila Luzon. This girl is always spot on. Her look is always crazy, but fashionable. If my blog had not been on hiatus during season two of Drag Race, you would have probably gotten sick of me talking about this lady. Every week she turned it out and made a star of herself. Her personality is what really makes her shine. In a recent interview with her partner, Sahara Davenport, it was revealed that Manila started out as a club girl and gradually shifted to the ballroom scene, which would explain her unique approach to drag.

She has a way with words. What I mean is she can say something that, on paper, would sound really bitchy and spiteful, but when she says it, it is hilarious and pure gold. Her joke about Raja "dying of old age" so she could become the winner was hilarious, and everyone knew it was only in jest (I hope, anyway). She won challenge after challenge and always had Michelle Visage's heart -- which is a damn hard thing to do.

Manila has a very amazing connection to her girls. Instead of being based on her past experiences, she bases a lot of her support on the success she's made of herself. If she can do it, why can't you? Her jokes make it look like she is only in it for her own glory, but when it comes down to it, she is always concerned with her girl, not as a piece of meat to display for the judges, but as a person.

A big negative in her favor is exactly what I love about her. She always wants to be the center of attention. This isn't a bad thing, in my opinion. If you are fabulous, you deserve all the attention you can handle. In the show's context, however, she sometimes outshines her student. Whether or not that makes her a "bad" teacher is in the eye of the beholder.

My main bout with this decision is weighing my fanboy thoughts with the actual meaning of being the MVP. Vivacious means "lively" or "animated", but to me, an MVP should be the ideal professor. Both of these girls do what they do well. As humans, they both have their bad points, but as a whole, both are very worthy of the title. I've narrowed it down to two, folks. It is almost time for me to make my final decision -- and vote over and over like crazy!

Don't agree with me? Prove it by voting for your favorite professor on the official Drag U blog here. Check out the Sahara Davenport interview by the fabulous Pollo Del Mar I mentioned earlier here to find out more about her relationship with Manila and her new single "Go Off!"

1 comment:

  1. I just realized, with those googly eyes on her head, MANILA IS WEARING COOKIE MONSTER'S SKIN!!!

    ReplyDelete