Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Drag U Tue - Mama Mia, I Need Help!

Week after week on Drag U, we see women's lives get changed. We see people connect with others and come out of their shells. That's what it's all about. Despite all the things I post about the show, it's more than just an excuse to see our favorite Drag Racers. Drag U is about regaining confidence and becoming a better you. Now that I've said what I needed to, please allow Pandora to wake up your vagina!


This week's gals are three moms who need a lot of help. Michelle, paired with the fabulous Pandora Boxx, is convinced that to be a good mom, you have to be boring! Alicia, Morgan's student, spends every waking moment with her daughter. Anna, left in the care of Bebe, goes through great lengths to hide her many tattoos from her kids and peers. Needless to say, these full-time moms need help!

I was actually glad to see Morgan back. I really didn't get to know her too well in Drag Race. She was always paired with Raven, which I believe worked to her disadvantage greatly. She didn't have her time to shine. Thanks to Drag U, those of us who can't make it to her shows can see her shine on her own. She did a very amazing job of encouraging her student. She made her yell about her being the queen of Drag U and even gave her a whip to make her feel powerful. The trend of the "ice heart" queens showing their softer side is something I adore. Raven helping his drag mother in season two, Raja giving Stacey her "Heathers" necklace -- Its all so surreal and charming!

Bebe is a character I just don't know how to take. Mind you, I got into Drag Race half way through season one, and I never quite understood Bebe. She always looked fierce, but I didn't connect with her, exactly. It finally hit me in this episode, though, who she really is. She connected with Anna on such a personal level that it is unreal. Anna was upset about her tattoos and scared to show them. She was reassured by Bebe that she is who she is and she is beautiful. Isn't that a recurring theme for drag in general? So many people are put off by drag; they think these men are wusses and just want to be females. Most of the time that isn't the case. They are artists. Anna had no more reason to be ashamed than they did. "What other people think of me is none of my business" is one of the RuPaul quotes I live by.


The Lady Lesson this week was all about making housework sexy. Lady Bunny gave a few tips on how to accomplish this. She said they should do household chores in heels... and make bedazzled aprons? Sometimes the thought process of Bunny scares me. Anyway, they all made their fiercest looking... aprons, and I guess learned a lesson about what's sexy? I dont know.

Pandora's girl gave her a bit of trouble in this relatively drama free episode. Not only could she not walk in heels, but she also ended up twisting her ankle. It was at this point that Pandora stated "I lost quite enough on drag race. I am not loosing this competition!" and I totally agree. I wasn't counting her out just yet, but I felt bad for her. Pandora always does so well but is often overlooked or criticized by the risks she takes. Oh well. I still love you, boo!

Of course, yet again Andre is missing from the dance segments. Jamal was here again this week, and he made them do some pretty funny dance moves. Inspired by their frustrations with their uncooperative children, he made up several unique motions. We had the "Pick Up Your Toys" and the "Clean Your Room", both of which, scarily enough, I've seen used by my mother in fits of anger. Fun, no?

Things wound down at draguation. Alicia's look was ok. I have never been a fan of animal print of any kind, and her hair and earrings were a bit too much for me. That skirt looked amazing and well crafted, though. Anna honestly looked like a second Morgan. Similar makeup was used and the plaid half-suit-half-dress thing going on was something I could easily see her in. My favorite was Michelle. She pulled out all the stops in her dress and dance. She had a bad ankle and she still turned it out.

Michelle ended up winning. I was torn. I thought she looked and did the best, but the show is about transformation, both mentally and physically, and I thought the one who embodied this the most was Anna, but I'm not going to complain too much, because Ms. Boxx FINALLY won! Yay!



The drag tips this week were with resident Asian lady Jujubee. She was giving out tips on where to stash your stuff when you dont have a pocketbook. Put your money and ID in your heel and keep an extra tube of lipstick in your cleavage. Somehow that girl always ends up drinking. At least we can rest assured it was Absolut!

No comments:

Post a Comment