Monday, February 25, 2013

Drag Race Season Five Cast-Off Roundup Part One

It's that time again. Every three weeks, I'll be posting a before and after of the queens who have been told to sashay away. I will be taking my first impressions of the girls, based on this post right here (based on the casting announcement interviews), and comparing it to how they really did on the show. There will be laughs. There will be tears. There will be blood. Well, only if your nose starts to bleed from excitement. Let's get started before I look even more weird!

Penny Tration


"This girl won the fan pick for the show, otherwise I'm not sure she would have made the cut. It looks like they were going for pure fish this season, and that is far from what she is serving us. Her makeup looks bad, her hair looks bad, and I'm just not feeling it. She claims to be the big funny one, but I wasn't laughing. It's a shame."

Penny, oh Penny. This just isn't the year for big girls. She joined on the wrong season, it would seem, and it looks like the fan-vote went to waste with her going home first. Honestly, as disappointed as I was with her taking the lead in the votes, I don't think she was the first deserving to go home. That being said, she was never meant to last long.

Serena ChaCha


"Gotta give love to a gal who accepted my friend request on Facebook! Holla! In the face she reminds me of Ongina. I'm not digging the hair, but I love the androgyny of her outfit, and the fact that shes one of the few queens not wearing a breast plate. She seems very personable, and the small outtake towards the end where she asks if she was doing the interview right was hysterical. Definitely one of my top picks!" 

So the big question is do I regret saying she was one of my top picks? No. From the interviews she was phenomenal. On the show, however, she turned out to be less than stellar. I don't know if it was due to her age (I believe we are the same age, actually), or if it was because she was from a different background and had a different take on drag. Either way she flopped the first week and had a wardrobe malfunction the second week. Most queens don't get two chances, so she got the boot. 

Monica Beverly Hillz


"I know a queen named Beverly Hillz already, so this girl is going to need to impress to get on my good side -- to which she doesn't. She looks busted, and has the worst piercing combo I've ever seen. Her dress is bad and her hair is bad. This one is probably my least favorite queen for this season, especially since she is calling other queens busted. That being said, given the results of last season, having the most busted girls stay so long, I expect her to go far."

Regret number one is saying anything bad about Monica. Sometimes I am quick to judge. Plus the statement "least favorite queen for this season" was a flat out lie because we all know who that title belongs to. Monica turned out to be very talented, but also very insecure. Seeing all that fish around this year would make anyone who didn't fit that mold to a T uncomfortable. I hope to see more of this lady in the future.
Honey Mahogany





"Finally a queen from San Fran! It's about damn time. Too bad the first wasn't Mama Pollo. She looks gorgeous and has some amazing hair in this look. She says her name comes from the makeup she wore when she first started, which is kind of amusing. She talks about how different the SF queens are from the rest of the world, which is true, but she seems pretty unique. She even gives us a taste of her singing voice -- to which she's already announced her debut single. Damn and the show ain't even started yet!"

Although her single "It's Honey" hasn't made a whole lot of waves, it is still a solid release that I can dig. Honey was one I had such high hopes for, but wasn't given a chance to shine. She made Drag Race history as being part of a duo to be the first double elimination. I wish she had stayed longer and gotten a chance to show what she had, but I have to agree with the judges about her runway looks. Thankfully she rectified the situation with her new music video!

Vivienne Pinay




"My favorite queen based on the pictures was the last to get an interview (they are alphabetical, at least). I always fall in love with the Asian queens. She seems like one of the most polished girls this seasons, and she comes across as a very nice person. She says she's not been doing drag long, but this girl ain't no Shangela. She also confesses that she is very inspired by Juju, which is pretty obvious, too."  

No shade, but Vivienne was the best looking queen this season. The fact that she was "boring" for them (the same reason last year's top notch queen Princess got sent packing) was a poor excuse. I can understand why she got frustrated with things, but I wish she had pushed a bit harder so she didn't get sent home so early. Thankfully, after the first episode, she didn't get compared to Juju any more. Good job, my queen. May you come back stronger and fiercer. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, girl. Messy for not even putting Serena on here (although I did not like that queen). And I'm with you on Vivienne. My favorites are usually the Asian queens or the Puerto Rico queens.
    (Nina, Jujubee, Manila <3, Kenya, Vivienne)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has been so buggy lately! I had a bit for Serena, but I guess it got messed up in the coding. Redoing now. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete