Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Saharah Davenport

Sahara Davenport, like many of the contestants from RuPaul's Drag Race, has made a move to start a music career. The big twist to this situation is that drag actually came second. Sahara recently released her second single "Go Off!", and she gave me some exclusive insights into the track and what is to come for her.




I know the purpose of this interview is about your music, but I have to ask real quick: Because of Drag Race, we know what you look like in and out of drag. Do you get recognized as a boy on the street?

After appearing on the series, I still get recognized. Who could forget this handsome face? I get recognized more when I am with my boyfriend and he's donning his blonde streak! When I feel like being "Incog-negro", I make him wear a hat.


What inspired you to make the transition from lip syncing to creating your own music?
Interesting enough, I knew how to really sing before I knew how to lip sync.  There's a huge misconception that reality stars go on to make music in hopes of staying relevant.  This can hold true to some, not this doll!! I've been around the world a couple of times as an entertainer and have always dreamed of creating my own quality music. RuPaul's Drag Race gave me the courage to to go for it and then the platform to be heard. Thanks Ru!

Were you a trained in singing prior to being a drag queen? 

I grew up singing and dancing. I was actually a child actor. I've been begging for attention from a small age. Yes, I've done musicals, and sang in choirs and choruses all of my life. Needless to say, I made my stage debut singing and dancing. Drag came many years later.

How did the idea for your newest track "Go Off!" come about?

After performing my debut single "Pump With Me" on the road for some months. I felt that while it embraced the soft and sensitive side of Sahara, it didn't really capture the hardcore energy that I'm known for exerting. I got the track from Gomi [her producer] and just wrote it immediately. The words just spilled.


What exactly does "Go Off" mean?

The biggest thing I learned from being on the Drag Race series was to play it big at all times and not to hold back. The term, "Go Off" means to let it all loose in a big way until you are satisfied. The lyric say, "I'm gonna pop, gonna blow my cover. I've gotta right to show my color." Why shouldn't you ever show your color. Honey, I live in New York City and holding back and muting your color will definitely not get you fed. Do it big!! Go Off!


This song was a distinct change from "Pump With Me". Why the sudden change?

It's just where I was. After meeting with Gomi, and being extremely particular about the music/track we knew that we wanted something current and powerful. I love all different types of music and can relate to many. There are many different sides to me as an entertainer/vocalist. This is just the one that I felt like exposing at that moment. I was in that space. Pump With Me was my debut track and will always be my baby.  I just want to show my range.


"Pump With Me" had an amazing music video. Please tell me that "Go Off!" is getting the same treatment!

Aww! Thanks Boo!  I am planning the video as we speak. Because the songs are totally different, the treatments will be as well. I can honestly say that I've been inspired by some of my most talented peers like Jonte and Kazaky. There will be dancing, dancing, and dancing! And some fierce clothes of course!

Can we expect cameos in this video too? I need work, you know!
If you can make it out to NYC, you're in! But you gotta fly yourself over, we on a budget! Seriously, I think that this video will feature just me and some of NYC's hottest dancers.  You know, Manila is gonna try and get herself in there (Lucy Arnez style).

Are there any plans for an album or EP in the future?

Who've you been talking to? [Laughs] I am actually currently in the studio working on an EP. I hope for it to be out by December. It features some of the hottest independent producers on the scene. I should also mention that I am also releasing an EP of remixes for Go Off next month that features, John Rizzo, EliteBeatz, DivaNation and more.

What other sides of Saraha will we get to see on the EP?

I've been doing tons of writing and am trying to cover tons of bases. You'll get to hear a tribute song to my boo which showcases my romantic side. There's some rock, some bitchyness, and a whole lot of fierceness!

A little birdy, lets call him Twitter, told me that your boyfriend is making a song, too. Is there a competition going on, or is it just one sista helping another?

There's no competition at all! Just support and excitement at the Luzonport household! He's working on some stuff, but I'll let him fill you in when he's ready!

So Luzonport is your official power couple name?

You're so silly. What's this power couple stuff? The fans always refer to us by that, so I guess I slipped up and used it. Sorry.

Is there any special message you'd like to give your fans and supporters?

Thank you! It's been two years since I stepped off of the set of that lil' show and I'm still feeling the love. I would like for them to know that I do it for them and can't do it without them. My Saharables are truly the best group of people in the world. I couldn't be luckier. Kisses.

Can't wait for the new Sahara EP? Get a preview of whats to come by buying her new track "Go Off!" on iTunes here.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you just going to town with your interviews! Congrats, boo!! <3

    ReplyDelete