Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Drag U Tue - 80's Ladies

This is it. The final episode of RuPaul's Drag U season two. In true RuPaul style, the finales just get bigger and bigger every year. This time around, he's landed three very famous 80's women to get themselves made over and also show a more human side to them than just performers. I really hate to see this show end already, but that just means we are one step closer to Drag Race season four! So why don't we get started?

Carmen is still stuck in fish mode from the last episode.
These ladies may not be in the public eye much today, but back in the 80's, they were the hottest things around. Jane, made popular by being the guitarist from The GoGos, was given the name Chiffon Brule and the professor Morgan. Downtown Julie Brown, a former VJ for MTV, was dubbed Donatella Mewhatodo and paired with Shannel. Stacie Q, singer of the famous track "Two of Hearts", was renamed Savannah and coached by Carmen Carerra. These girls are certainly in the best of hands.

I have to start out by saying I now am madly in love with Carmen. I think she may have seen her actions in Drag Race and decided it was time for a change. Who knows? But in Drag U, she is amazing. I've always liked her style, but her personality, previously that is, just turned me off. Now she is a sweetheart. She is still, however, an airhead. When Stacey mentioned someone with a "Congenial" problem, she asked what happened to the guys genitals. Carmen showed her soft side again, comforting her student when she talked about her best friend and hair stylist who passed away 22 years ago. These tearjerker moments always get me!

The lady lesson this week was... interesting. Instead of teaching them stuff, Lady Bunny decided she wanted to become Oprah and show off some of her favorite things. Being the crazy lady she is, she showed them things like the "hot bod" shirt, much like what Detla Work wore in the comedy challenge on Drag Race. Another device was a bra that you could put booze in. I really have to wonder sometimes how sane Lady Bunny is. At least she's funny, right? Moving on.

Dance class was by Tony Bassil. I know, I know. It's time again for me to complain that my hot boys arent here. Damn, I wish that at least for the final episode they had brought them back, but oh well. Maybe Andre will be back for the next season. The dance was to RuPaul's new song "Superstar", which isn't a surprise. Ru is known for his shameless self promotion in Drag U, which is part of the campy charm this show has.

Aren't they supposed to be talking them out of bad 80's fashion?
Morgan and her girl Jane were the spotlight of the show for me. Jane is just so adorable and peppy, I can't stop watching her. She has an adorable voice, and is always in a good mood. I was really proud of how she pushed herself so hard and didn't even complain. She apparently had a hiking accident a while back and messed up her knee. Despite this, she rocked the runway and the dance. Morgan served as a very good support system, always keeping her going. The two worked very well together.

Shannel. Oh, Shannel. I really was surprised to see you in the finale. Shannel has been in this show more than anyone else (well, maybe not more than Raven), and I really can't decide if I like her or just want her to go away forever. She always looks amazing, but her personality falters at times. She can be really into herself, which as a drag queen isn't a bad thing, but in the context of the show is not how things need to be done.  She was very understanding, though, when Julie didn't want to go for the dragulator look. Instead, they decided to go for a glamorous diva look, and it really did work in favor for her.

Before I knew it, the final draguation was here. This will be the last time (at least for a year or so) that I get to see three amazing women turn it out, drag style, on the runway. First up was Jane. Her look was phenomenal. She was a total dominatrix with leather and bondage influences. I loved the wide laced fishnets and the ponytail. Julie, my favorite of the three, came out in a beautiful gown, a much different image from her dragulator "rocker chick" look. Her skirt was floor length, but partially see through, and made for an amazing dress. Finally, Stacey rocked the runway in a feathery outfit. I didn't like the dress much. It looked very busy and unfocused. Her hair, however, was amazing and even had some cute rhinestones in it.

After a fun dance segment and the judges' deliberation, we find out that Julie won. I thought it was a good note to end on for the show. She really did make the transformation from boring mom who hadn't been out in years to glamorous queen. Plus, Ru accused her of stealing his style -- in jest of course!

Bat those lashes, ladies!
The final drag tips is what I viewed as a peace offering. It featured both Jujubee and Raven, who, throughout the series, have flung so much shade at one another. Today, they worked together to make up for that by giving everyone tips on how to properly put on fake lashes. In the end, they stood together with their lashes on fluttering away. But we all know they went right back to being shady as soon as it was over with.

And that's all she -- err I -- wrote. Til next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment