Saturday, March 24, 2012

Young London Release New Cover

We all know I love Young London. They were my first ever interview. They are amazing people. They make amazing music. What isn't to love about Matt and Sarah? I am willing to go as far to say that if you don't like Young London we can't be friends. Ok, I'm kidding. But seriously. Video Killed The Radio Star.


My biggest pet peeve is when people try and change the song too much. When people listen to covers, they want to hear a group's spin on the song, but for the most part they want to be able to sing along and hear familiar lyrics and beats. Thankfully YL is good at making catchy pop music, so "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the perfect choice for a cover for this duo.

The back track is updated and the vocals are a bit different, but over all this song will be quite familiar to anybody who lived through the 80s or is just a mega fan of that era's music. The two actually sound perfect in the song. The male-female dynamic from the original is an obvious inclusion, and they both fit their parts of the song quite well.  Their electro-pop stutter (ala Ke$ha) is quite prominent, but doesn't clash with the song at all.



I know what a lot of you are thinking. "Oh, that Geodude will say that Young Britain group is awesome even if they pooped on a plate and served it to you cold." BUT NO! "Video Killed The Radio Star" is one of my all time favorite songs. Like ever. I actually didn't want to listen to their version at first because I was afraid I'd have to send them angry Tweets about my dislike of the song. Luckily, they rocked it. Also my name is GaoSalad and they are Young London. This is all.

By the way, as of now, the track is available for free from their SoundCloud (listed above). Take advantage of that.

Did you know that the music video for "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first ever music video to air on MTV?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I want to marry this cover. As well as every little thing Young London has ever done (all cause of you, natch) ♥ And that is from someone who adores the original track to death but damn YL does such a wonderful job covering it, I can't imagine hating it.

    ReplyDelete