Friday, March 30, 2012

Album Review - Adamantine Heart

Kieran Strange is pretty freakin' rad. There is no denying that. She is totally loyal and personable to her fans and an all around friendly person. All of these things make a good person, but do they make a good artist? Allow me to prove that it is possible to have -- and be -- it all. Allow me to introduce you to Kieran Strange and her new sound: "Adamantine Heart".




I know, I know. It sounds like I'm bragging on her because I happen to like her as a person (she freaking added me on Xbox Live, that's how awesome she is), but she makes some amazing music as well. She sent me a sneak peek of her new EP that comes out tomorrow, and I have to say I am in love.

The title track, Adamantine Hearts is a nice middle ground between rock and the new wave of electropop, allowing it to distinguish itself from the current influx of same-sounding pop music. The theme of the song is finding your own voice and your own self. This song is the one previewed in the promo I posted  a few weeks ago, and it turned out even better than I had expected.

The second track on this short adventure through Ms. Strange's mad world is probably my favorite of the bunch. "Rock 'N Roleplay" shows off her darker side, as she talks about a crazy hard core chick she can't get over. Yes, Kieran Strange went there. It's officially lesbian time. Err -- anyway, the song is much more electronic than the first with driving beats and heavy synth rips highlighting the lighter vocals on the chorus before they let loose a hard guitar riff to serenade her harsher vocals for the chorus. This is the Kieran I grew to love in "Good Intentions" from her debut. This is the track I recommend you introduce your friends to to get them straight into what she is all about.

The final track, "Hit A Nerve" keeps up the high energy of the other three. The entire song is basically a big middle finger to an ex of hers, as she claims to have written an entire song just to piss them off. Lines like "Rip your heart out with an electric guitar" and "Sorry if I used you for a rhyme" make this song stand out lyrically more than it does musically. This one is the most fun to sing along with, and surely one that everybody can relate to, as it is human nature to be vindictive.

This EP is short. Too short. I have been waiting ages for more from her, and seeing as I don't live in Canada, my chances to see her live are quite slim. I do hear she rocks a pretty hardcore live show, too. Even as short as it was, it was still nice to hear more from this talented artist. The EP comes out tomorrow, and I'll update with a purchase link. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did!

2 comments:

  1. rock n roleplay is about her being a gamer chick. she's not gay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock N Rollpllay Baby is about her gamer rollplay alter ego, not lesbian love... But when I saw her live, she even said herself that a lot of people seem to think it's a lesbian song. Ha!
    But anyway. I entirely agree! She's awesome! And yes she is awesome live as well!
    I can't wait for new music from her. :D

    ReplyDelete