Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Album Review - The Night The Sun Came Up

I'm not sure why, but I love Dev. She may be abrasive, crazy, and a little out of her mind, but that is exactly why she is so amazing. Against all my previous feelings towards her, I bought her new album, and now you all get to see me eat my own words because this album is simply amazing.



The singles leading up to this album were incredible. "In The Dark" was a step in the right direction fusing jazz and pop into one huge mess leaving you thinking "What the hell did I just listen to? I mean it was great... but what?" I've said before that lyrically, it sounded like she pulled words out of a hat, but musically, it is produced by The Cataracs so what isn't to love?

The second single, "Bass Down Low" does not disappoint either. Wait, what? That song isn't on the album? For some odd reason, "Bass Down Low" is not included on the US/Canada version of the album. What we got instead was her third single "Naked" featuring Enrique Iglesias, which is a bit of middle ground for the set of three. Not the best, but not the worst either. Enrique was a nice addition to the mix, as his vocal skills are outstanding. The lyrics are quite amusing without really meaning to, because, well, it's hard to talk about a song about feeling naked.

The other two songs on the album that feature other artists are "Kiss My Lips" and "Don't Hurt It". "Kiss My Lips" is a very nice slower jam, even if the rap bits by whoever Fabulous is were rather annoying and repetitive. I spent most of the song waiting for him to stop talking. Dev's part of the song (mainly the chorus) is very addicting. "Don't Hurt It" is a much more ear-pleasing song. I'm not sure if it's because Timbaland is a better rapper or if I it is actually better. Either way, I'd prefer this song. It's drum beat is almost a tribute to marching bands at time, leading into that traditional Cataracs sound.

The rest of the album is Dev flying solo. The standout from them all has to be "In My Trunk" which is my new theme song and the only song I have listened to in my car since this album came out. It has slapping bass lines, over processed vocals, and bitches on deck (and they Mexican). It is the perfect song. How anyone can listen to this song with it's hilarious ass metaphors and not fall in love, I have no idea.

The song "Me" is an ode to all of her haters, proving to them all that she is just as awesome as she has always claimed to be and has finally made it big time. The more mellow songs like this and "Shadows" keep the album from being overpopulated by super fast paced tracks while still keeping a great beat and smooth rhymes. Another slower song "Dancing Shoes" is the rare opportunity to see the softer side of this diva who has such a hard-ass persona.

The obvious winner of my heart "In My Trunk" aside, the two top favorites for the album are "Lightspeed" and "Breathe". Both of the songs have amazing build ups in the verses until the chorus drops and it is like a musical explosion all up in your ears. "Breathe" probably takes the cake from "Lightspeed" simply from the lyrics. "And if I take it way too far tonight/Out of control lost in the light" and "Put your lips on me and -- Breathe" are genius.

I have to say I was really impressed by this album. Most of the albums that have come out lately have had really strong singles followed up by lackluster album-only tracks. Sure it's a bit over processed vocally, and it is a bit of over-exposure for The Cataracs with them producing ever single song, but it really works. All of these otherwise awkward elements collide to make an album that is enjoyable, and obvious that she enjoyed her time and stayed true to who she is.

I lost count half way through the album how many times she says "I-I-It's The Cataracs."

You can buy the US version of the album on iTunes. Just be glad you didn't have to suffer through the Flo Rida version of "In The Dark." Dear Jesus thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I was thinking "I dunno about springing the $ for the whole album (in this economic climate)" so I came here to get tips on individual tracks to cherry-pick. Didn't take long for me to think "the hell with it" and click "Complete My Album." Gotta support the local talent!

    ReplyDelete