Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dev And The Music Video Overload

Over the past year I have come to love Dev. She didn't impress me initially, but as I listened to her more, and more... and more, I found I just couldn't deny it any more. Dev is pretty awesome, and since she works with The Cataracs, she automatically gets a free pass at being sickening.

Lately, miss thang has been releasing a lot of videos back to back. Between the four that she has dished out since November of 2011 to the few that she's guest starred in with The Cataracs, this girl is getting a lot of face time. Not only that, but all of them have at least 100,000 views on Vevo, the last two having over a million a piece. Talk about werking! Watch with me, my friends.




Lightspeed
This video is a lot like the video for Sunrise. It is a series of home movies by her and her buddies The Cataracs. Sadly, the music takes a back seat to the video itself by allowing the video's original audio to take over. Normally I would be amused, but I really like this song and I don't want to have to wait til the album comes out for a full version song. That and the conversations between them were rather uninteresting. Moving on.




Dancing Shoes
Probably the most polished of all the videos, and what I hope is her next US single, this one is a sweeter side of Dev (and another makeup putting on montage). The video itself might not be as interesting as the others, but she looks stunning and the message behind it, about being beautiful no matter what people say, makes this one shine through. Totally cute and a new aspect of Dev that the world needs to see more of. And she totally bitch slapped that grandma. Classic.




In My Trunk
I love this song. SO MUCH. Her vocal effects may be annoying, but the song is so hilarious and that exact troll-tacular rap-pop-electonic mess that I am such a sucker for. The video shows an array of things coming out of her car's trunk including a case of money, as stripper, and a man who has been tied up. Interesting, Dev. "Got Bitches on deck and they Mexican." is the most lovably racist thing I've heard since Willam in Ticked Off Trannies With Knives. Love it. This song is pretty much my theme song from now on. Also, she is wearing the biggest earrings I have ever seen.




Take Her From You
This song is a slower pace than we are used to hearing from Dev and it feels a lot more raw and powerful, too. The video is a black and white slow story consisting of Dev staring at herself in the mirror a lot. OK so it's a video about her covering up a murder and being rather pompous while doing so. I can't help but giggle at the lesbian context of the song. Sadly for such an amusing song, it has a boring video.

Damn, girl. Four music videos in four months -- and two of them were just from the last two weeks! She definitely is wanting some attention, and I have no problem giving it to her. The album has already been release in UK, Australia, and (awkwardly enough) Poland, but has been continuously pushed back in the US so that she can "add more tracks." As of now, it is set to come out March 27. I hope it doesn't get pushed back again. I'm not a patient person.

No comments:

Post a Comment