Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Pandora Boxx

I keep hearing that drag queens, namely ladies from RuPaul's Drag Race, branching into the music business is becoming a cliche. Obviously nobody told Pandora Boxx this. She may not be the first one to try out the music scene, but she sure did give it her own interesting twist. This two-time Drag U MVP has recently released her debut comedy/dance singe "Cooter", and is making waves. Being the sweetheart she is, she allowed me to sit down and ask her a few questions on her new career path.




A lot of the Drag Race ladies have branched into music lately. What was your reason for jumping into the music scene?

I think as an entertainer you want to do your own material, which is the main reason for me making a song. And, you know, I am a comedian, so I wanted to do a funny dance song. There really aren't a lot of those out.

What made you choose the title "Cooter"?

I co-wrote the song with Jipsta, who I believe you've interviewed before, and we started talking online. The original song we came up with was actually called "Rise Up" and it was an anthem kind of song talking about standing up for yourself and being proud of who you are. It just didn't feel right. I told him that I had an idea for a comedy track called "Cooter". Joe Cole & David Petrilla did the music for the track. It just came to me because one, I think the word cooter is really, really funny, and two, I wanted a song that was kind of raunchy, but still dancey. It also speaks to my experiences from the drag world, having all of these really hot straight guys hit on me and tell me if I was a girl they'd date me.

But who came up with the new vocabulary?

It was a team effort. We had worked all day on the other song, which we didn't end up using, and then Cooter came to fruition very organically afterwords. A lot of it was just me adlibbing. I'd just kind of say things I thought would fit and were funny, but it was definitely a group effort.

Cooterlicious was the best one. I'm trying to work it in to every conversation possible.

I definitely think you should because everybody should say cooterlicious as much as they can!

But the best part of the song has to be the slurping!

[laughs]
Well the slurping I actually didn't want to do. I was kinda grossed out by it. It was good. It worked. It can be funny to be nasty sometimes and I knew it would fit well, but it really grossed me out to do it.

What was the best part of being in the studio and actually doing the recording?

My favorite part was actually the whole experience. I couldn't believe I was actually recording music. I know I'm not the greatest singer in the world, and it's kind of a speak-singing song, but it's not about that. It's about having my own work, and hopefully people like it. The response has been good so far.


The response has been amazing! You were in the top 100 Dance on iTunes and #2 and Amazon Dance charts!

It's crazy. The number two on Amazon blew me away. It's on a chart with such major artists. It's odd and surreal to see my name listed next to any of them.

Now, Cooter does deal with a very serious LGBT issue -- Straight guys are too damn hot, am I right?

I think it's just the forbidden fruit syndrome. You want what you can't have.

From the still shots I've seen of the video it looks... interesting. What is going on in it?

It's five or so version of me. There's a nurse, a prostitute, an 80s exercise lady. It's playful, fun, and campy. I mean what else can you do with a song called "Cooter"? It adds to the comedy of the song. People will get the full concept when they have the visuals along with it.

I got a question for you from someone who has asked to remain anonymous: What is it like recording with Jipsta?

This question is probably from Jipsta. In that case, I would say it was horrid experience, and I would never do it again. Of course I'm kidding. We really didn't know each other before, so it was a totally new experience and I was so nervous, but luckily we got along really well and I think that's why the song went so well.

When I spoke with him last, he said you may have some more music projects in store for the future.

I would love to do more music. It's fun, and I love doing my own music. As a drag performer, I like to do funny songs, and it's hard to find comedic music. It's even harder to find what I want specifically. We've talked about working on another song together, but I wanted to see what the reaction would be to this song first.

What about "Rise Up"? Will that ever see the light of day?

I don't think it will. I like it, but it's not what I wanted. It was a part of my journey to find my place as an artist, and it just didn't speak to me. I want to go more the funny route. I don't want to take myself too seriously as a recording artist. I want to keep it fun and campy.



You can snag Pandora's "Cooter" on iTunes here . The video is expected to be released within the week. While you're at it, why don't you follow her on Twitter and fan her on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! The slurping is my favorite part too!

    Another great interview, babe. Loves it! Loves Pandy! Loves you!

    XO,
    Pollo

    ReplyDelete