Friday, October 21, 2011

Album Review - Queen of Fxxking Everything

A few days ago, a new buddy of mine, Matt from OMFG It's A Blog About Music, managed to turn off his caps lock button long enough to bring to my attention something quite interesting. Apparently, England has drag queens, too! Joking, of course, but he did introduce me to yet another drag diva making music, and as always... I TOTALLY LOVE IT! Let's take a look at Holestar (It's a name, don't get all adult filter on me, blogger!)



This should technically be called an EP review, but for the sake of same-tagging, it's now an album. This may not be her first attempt at music, but it's my introduction to who she is, and damn does she do a good job at getting people all up in her biz-nass.

It opens up with the title track "The Queen of Fxxking Everything". This song feels straight out of the eighties. No, I'm not talking this new Gaga past-present mix crap -- I'm talking straight up 80's Madonna. I really think this is the perfect drag queen song (well, maybe aside from Nadia Oh's "Shade"), as it is straight up in your face, letting you know that you need to loose your self-righteous attitude and get with the program, all while letting people assume that she is totally amazing. My main gripe with this song is a something I keep saying over and over: It doesn't have a whole lot of global appeal. It fits very well in the drag scene and the LGBT culture, but it is too obviously gay. That isn't exactly a bad thing, and I have a feeling that is what she was going for.

"The Insider" keeps that same true 80s vibe from the previous song. This time it's more of a Eurythmics vibe to it. THIS is the song I was looking for in a legitimate artist! This song feels so real and amazing. I know that QOFE was very catchy, but I wish this was the title track, in all honesty. The song is about longing for a lost love. "I remember when we used to dance, we used to sing". It really kind of hits home with me, and it has such a distinct feel to it, like it was put in a time capsule and she opened it to record it for us all. This was the global appeal I was looking for in the last track. Oh dear, I must excuse myself for a moment.

And I'm back! The final song is entitled "Another Heartbeat" is the weakest feeling song on the EP. I don't have a problem with the content or the music itself. I guess my main problem is her using her "male" voice numerous times in the song, ruining the illusion I assume she was going for. Other than that, great track. Top shelf.

I guess I can say I'm quickly becoming a fan of Holestar. I have emailed her a few times, and she was very sweet then. Her music is very polished and refreshing, and I love her quirky mid-song talk on the title track. And before you go whining about how I keep on and on about reviewing American music only, it is actually on US iTunes! Be sure and buy it, but for now she has said I can give you guys a little sample. Check out the title song "Queen of Fxxking Everything" via SoundCloud! Warning, those x's are a "u" and a "c" in the song -- don't get mad at me if your virgin ears hear a curse word... or seven.

Get your gay party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment