Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Angel Anatomy

Say what? You've never heard of Angel Anatomy? Previously named Almost Angels, this unique duo have decided to re-brand themselves and undergo a drastic change. They traded in the middle-of-the-road pop sound and welcomed in a strangely mellow and opera sound.  Why? Because it's not about the money, it's about the music. I recently got to sit down and chat with these hilarious and quite genuine ladies. Allow me to introduce Angel Anatomy: Lorelai Lynn and Anya!



In a nutshell: What is Angel Anatomy?

[Lorelai]
We are an ambient triphop duo with undertones of classical influence.

[Anya]
We are definitely a new take on the ambient, we are music that flows with emotions and ideas rather than what everyone is listening to right now.

What brought you two together?

[Lorelai]
Well, kind of a funny story, actually! We used to compete.

[Anya]
We were karaoke rivals for a while but wound up becoming good friends- or was it the other way around?

[Lorelai]
Sometimes I forget too! We became friends because we both loved the same sort of things because we both loved music.

[Anya]
We wanted to take the two, I guess, the two different styles we embody and mix them together into something different that's never been done before

[Lorelai]
Well, it's kind of a mad science experiment with music, so far so good.

Karaoke rivals? Sounds pretty serious!

[Anya]
 Nah, it was all in good fun!

[Lorelai]
To be honest, most of the time she beat me, I should be crying right now.

Anya
So making music together must have been the obvious choice, right? 

[Anya]
 It wasn't at first, we were both originally going to do our own thing, take slightly different paths in music.

[Lorelai]
Yeah, to be honest, I always leaned more towards ambient and Anya has always been able to do crazy pop and rock vocals. I wasn't sure how it was going to work - but here we are!

[Anya]
Combining forces seemed like the best option after a while, and it does make a really neat sound.





I'm told you have worked with some big names in the past.

[Lorelai]
Yeah! We've worked with the same producer that helped write music for Hannah Montanna, P!NK, Leona Lewis, Jonas brothers, stuff like that - but it really didn't suit us in the end.

[Anya]
We don't fit inside the pop culture box very well and we needed more freedom to "spread our wings" in a sense.

[Lorelai]
Anya makes the worst puns.

But this time it's just the ladies! What was it like writing on your own?

[Lorelai]
It was actually a very... freeing experience. I didn't have to worry about writing inside of a set box, there is a basic formula you have to follow but it wasn't hard. Most of the songs I wrote I wrote within six hours. (laughs) I felt relieved that I didn't have to worry about conveying the message I wanted to convey and the music came very naturally to me. I think the hardest part is doing the vocal work.

[Anya]
Ironically, I'm the complete opposite! I will agree that writing our own music has been a very liberating experience. I like being able to write in a way that suits me and suits Lori and doesn't have to stick to the norm. I hope it's a new style other people will like as well. Vocals come easiest for me, so with Lori's instrumental ability, we make a good team.

Lorelai
Your debut single together is called "Don't Look Back", but it's not a conventional single. This single has three tracks, not just one! What made you choose the "Japanese Style" of releasing a single over the traditional?

[Lorelai]
I don't think that it's really a secret we like Japanese music, Anime  or conventions. We felt that we would make a bigger impact with a couple of extra songs instead of just one. A lot of people really enjoy being surprised like that on a single, I think, personally when I get a new single out of Japan I'm like a little kid on Christmas. Oh! What kind of songs am I getting?! Will there be a BONUS TRACK? AW YEEEEAH.

[Anya]
Yes, Japan has always been a big influence on us, we're both fond of the culture and somehow a three track single just seemed more 'special' than just one song. It also helps the diversity within our
tracks and helps convey the overall message better.

For the those who arent familiar with the terms, what exactly are "ambient" and "triphop"?

[Lorelai]
Let's start with Triphop. It's a fusion of hiphop and electronica - but what we did that's different is we took the typical downtempo beats, basslines and slipped them underneath very ambient music. Ambient music is generally stuff like Enya, Dead Can Dance, Enigma, Delirium- it's music that is soft, soothing and flow together very well.

[Anya]
It's been described as soothing or dreamlike. The terms are not so much important as getting to know the way the music sounds. Ambient music can vary and so can triphop. We felt that the triphop downtempo beats would spice up the ambient flows.

I certainly can say I've not heard anyting like you guys before so this unique combo must be working!

[Lorelai]
We really hope so! This has always been part of my natural sound. Anya has good ideas when it comes to how to spice up music
.
[Anya]
Like Lori said, we really hope others will like it as much as we do!

Lorelai, what would you say was your biggest part in making the single?

[Lorelai]
Hm... I'd have to say that I did all the composing myself, it took several hours, I had to study how classical music comes together and how I was going to put triphop in with it. It was incredibly frustrating at first but became easier over time.

Anya, what was your biggest input?

[Anya]
My input was mostly in the vocals and extra pieces of the songs. I was the one who leaned over Lori's shoulder and say "What if you add this?" "What we do this?" Since vocals are what come easiest, I wrote the vocal melodies and harmonies for all of the songs.



I understand you are dropping the single at a live event soon? 

[Lorelai]
That's right! We're going to be performing live at Onicon! It's going to be in Galveston, Texas, this year, we're looking forward to the beach.

[Anya]
Gosh, I haven't been to the beach in ages! The Earthbound Papas will be attending this year as well so, I know I'm excited to see them!

[Lorelai]
Excuse me while I break into battle music.

[Anya and I wait for Lorelai to finish]

[Lorelai]
It's going to be October 29th! It will be available for download only, CDs will be available later this year and we'll also have our online shop go live very soon!

An anime convention!? Which one of you is the bigger anime nerd?

[Lorelai]
We are closely matched, I'd say.

[Anya]
We are about even as far as Anime goes but I am the bigger Video game nerd.

[Lorelai]
I wish she was joking. Her PSP has fused to her hand. I'm starting to think we're going to need to invent a name for her medical condition.

To each of you -- Why should my readers listen to your music?

[Lorelai]
Because we're innovative and awesome. How many gamers do you know that actually write music?

[Anya]
Seconded. Because if what they're looking for is something you can't hear on the radio, something different yet familiar, we're it.

No comments:

Post a Comment