Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Album Review - Skitszo Part Two

Ok, guys. The first week of the new year is finally over and I can resume normality -- and what is more "normal" about my site than to see Colette Carr featured on my site? Well she has been releasing her debut album "Skitszo" in segments every two months and the new year is bringing in part two. Let's take a listen.




Part two opens up with catchy track "Hearsay", falling in line with her more electro-pop sound as opposed to her rap roots. Despite it's ubeat flow, it has a dark undertone to it, keeping it in that true cCarr light. The only thing real problem this song presents is that is just doesn't feel distinctive enough. Even the other tracks on this installment of the album each feel like they have their own vibe and sound, but this one falls short in what is turning out to be one of the best EP/Albums I've heard in a long time.

Thankfully the rest of the album is up to par with what you'd expect. The next two songs go a bit hand in hand, as they are closely related. "Why Are You Leaving" is a song about longing for someone who is breaking up with you, and in this case is focusing on Kev Nish from Far East Movement. The two have been good friends for a while, and share a record label, so it's nice to see the two of them team up for a song. "I Love Kev Nish" serves as a bit of an interlude, running in at just under two and a half minutes.

"Racking Up" is a straight up cCarr rap tune, showcasing her impressive rap abilities. While I am not a huge fan of rap music, especially when there is not an electro-pop beat to keep me interested, I am a huge fan of Colette, and I can appreciate when somebody is really good at something. The song does get a bit dirtier than she has been in a while and drops the f-bomb a few times. There is an edited version if you are a huge pansy, though.

What is truly surprising about this part is that there are no previously released songs on it. I had assumed that each installment would have one of the previous singles on them. It was pretty nice to see all new material this go around. I have heard that she is planning on doing several videos for this venture, leaving me to wonder which of the three(ish) tracks on this one she will make a video for. The Kev Nish duo would probably be the best route to take, but I think that "Racking Up" might make for a better video. What do you guys think?

You can grab the album on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment