Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012's Biggest Misses: Honey Mahogany Sings

So here's the deal, for the first full week of 2013, I am going to be going posting like crazy to showcase a ton of artists that I missed over the past year. Lots of amazing things happened, and being just one person, there was no way I could keep up with it all. Therefore, these first seven days of the new year, I'm bringing you the biggest "no duh!" moments I missed over the past year!

First up, we have Ms. Honey Mahogany, one of the upcoming queens from Ru Paul's Drag Race season five. She wasted no time at all getting her music out there, and I think such a bold action deserves a bit of applause, doncha think?


Pretty much from the day she was announced as being a contestant on RPDR5 she announced her debut single "It's Honey." Suspicious? Yes. Smart? Also yes. Now that the show is in it's fifth season, the number of queens that have been on the show are becoming a bit overwhelming, and with the show at the risk of becoming like America's Next Top Model with the winners being forgotten a month after the show ends, it is probably for the best that she cash in as soon as possible.

The song has me on the fence, and my true opinion on it depends on the truth behind it. If it is a serious attempt at writing, I would have to shake my head. However if it is what it appears to be, which is a parody that is poking fun at her name and bringing on the camp, it is amazing. Confused yet?

Well, you see, the song from a musical standpoint is not something you'd hear on the radio or top 40 playlists. It has a lot of disco to it, and the singing gets very sexual very quick. I'm not talking Kanye West "I'm going to threaten you into sex" sexual, but more like Raja "listen to me moan for three minutes" sexual. It's awkward, yet at the same time a bit genius.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm sure the song is poking fun at herself, but one can't be too sure. I guess I'll just have to wait until she makes some sort of statement about it. Perhaps I can even get her to comment for TOTU. Only time will tell. This one was a narrow miss, as the song came out mid December, but I promise more is to come! Stay with me, people!

Grab the track on iTunes and let me know what you think of it. Parody or just weird?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! And yes... please take all the moans and groans with a healthy portion of humor. ;)

    ReplyDelete