Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012's Biggest Misses: Sk8 And Her New Video

As much as I take pride in finding quality artist before anyone else, sometimes I completely miss the boat, and by the time I've found them, the ship has already been out of port for months. Thankfully I'm good at inventing reasons to talk about old stuff you probably missed too, much like "2012's Biggest Misses". And with that, please allow me to introduce singer Sk8.




Sadly until just recently I had never heard of Sk8. A friend answered my call for quality talent that I had missed over the past year, and I was immediately taken by her. She is cute yet distinctive looking and has a great voice. There is just something about the indie scene in New York that is so appealing, and this lady is no different.

Her latest single, "One Love", has had a video come out recently that has definitely made a lasting impression on me. Not only is it full of Kwanza Jones level hot backup dancers, but it is also full of energy and looks very professional. My only complaint with the work at all would be the segments that look like they were shot in a poorly lit condo in front of the window, and those are used few and far between.

If the video looks impressive, and it does, it's because it was produced by renowned New York photographer Montana Vasquez, whom I have been a closet fan of for a while now. He produces amazing work, such as this video, and has been working with my new fave Tokyo Black on some projects as of late. We certainly can't wait to see what comes of that, but for now, back to Sk8!

Sk8 has already placed on the Billboard Top 20, and this song is proof that she has it in her. While "One Love" has yet to chart (it's still pretty new, to be fair), the song definitely has what it takes. It's got light and airy vocals compiled on top of bomping beats that make everyone wanna dance. The song carries a message about how strong of an influence just one love can be in a persons life.

Also, no shade, but does anyone else think she looks like Priscilla from Not Another Teen Movie in some of those closeups?

Grab the track on iTunes and remember 2013 the way you should have remembered 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment