Friday, January 4, 2013

2012's Biggest Misses: The Drag Coffee Table Book

Dear lord I am behind on the times. I had no idea that there were so many drag queens outside of those fifty or so from Drag Race. (Did you get the joke? Hah). Thankfully there are many different outlets for talented queens to get their names out. My buddy over at BookTheFilm.Com has taken it upon himself to publish a compilation of glamorous photos that would be perfect as a conversation piece for anybody's coffee table -- so long as they aren't a judgmental prude.


Well let me take back what I said earlier. This book does feature some of the Drag Race girls. As a matter off fact, many of the girls, such as Tammie Brown, Nina Flowers, Ongina, and Roxxxy Andrews appear in this book. There are also a lot of independantly famous queens such as Hedda Lettuce, Lady Bunny, and my fave Ms. Sherry Vine.

Photo by Anna Patin
The photos in the book may look familiar to some, and that is because they wrangled famous photographer Jose A Guzma+n Colon, who has taken photos of pretty much every gal that has been on Drag Race (and even snapped a picture of my dear friend Pollo Del Mar), as well as famed photographer Mike Ruiz, who is known for his extensive reality TV resume -- oh and his breathtaking photography.

Photos by Jose A Guzman Colon
 What I find amazing about this book is that the focus is not just on female illusionists in the United States. Many of the queens in the book are from other places including both Canada and Mexico, giving the viewer a broader idea of the scope the drag world has. Sure we know that Puerto Rico has some fierce queens, but what about Quebec? Or Mexico City? Yup, they got 'em, too.

Photo by Jose A Guzman Colon
These few pictures I've posted are only a taste of what the book has in store for everyone. I have to say when I was first pitched the idea of the book, it didn't seem to appealing. I mean you can find pictures on the internet, right? But this is much more than a collection of pictures. It's an amalgamation of art, design, beauty, drag, and fashion.

The book is available for the US for the reasonable price of fourty bucks. Try beating that at your local Barns&Noble. It's also available internationally. Just hop on over to BookTheFilm and order your copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment