Friday, December 16, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Kwanza Jones

Oh. My. God. Let me tell you, I recently got in contact with one of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege of talking to. Kwanza Jones is not only a singer, but also a songwriter, and an ambassador for equality. This future pop icon and role model took time out from her busy tour to give me the details on her next moves in the music world, as well as her stance on other serious issues.


To any potential fans: how would you describe yourself?

I'd say I'm a gladiator in a thong. I'm relentless when I entertain. From my wardrobe to my music to my shows, I bring the energy. For a more music description, I'd say I'm a dance-pop diva. My music makes you wanna get on the floor and stay on the floor!

Time To Go is so different from what you've released before. What inspired your change in musical style?

When you meet me in person, you know my energy is nonstop. I wanted the music to better reflect my personality. It was all about getting that energy to translate, so even if you never get to meet me or see a live show you can still feel it and hear it in the music. Over the past few years I had been exploring music. What do I like to write? What do I like to sing? What instruments do I want to play? I found I was very versatile, but it wasn't until I moved to dance-pop that it felt just right. I call it a coming out of the musical closet.

Lyrically, what inspires you?


I want my lyrics to help people verbalize some of the things they aren't able to say. I want the music to move people -- literally and figuratively. That's the most important thing. My messages focus on: Empowerment and Equality. I want my music to be able to inspire people -- without being to preachy. But, it's not always about the lyrics, the melody, beats, and music are important, too.

It's safe to say that the new album is going to have a lot of these same themes.

Yes! It's Supercharged! Everything is super powered and extreme. Think of it as the fiercest drag queen you know. People are going to talk about it. That's Supercharged. It's has a lot of empowering themes. I can sing about shaking my butt all day, and that is fun, but it's gotta have a core meaning. It's a safe bet that it's going to move you! I like to say, it's music for superheros and divas, or those who want to be.

Don't take this the wrong way, but on the cover of Time To Go, you look like a sickening drag queen!

[Laughs]
Let me tell you. I. LOVE. IT. It's so funny because our mutual friend, the famous drag queen, Pollo Del Mar, told me a friend of hers saw the cover and asked her, "Who is that? She looks like a fierce Puerto Rican drag queen!" Believe me, I take that as a compliment. When queens do it right, they do it right, so my theory is if they're talking about me, I must be doing something right! It also comes back to my idea of being Supercharged and going beyond and to the extreme. My look is a visual representation of this theme.

So I saw tweets about a Time To Go video. Please tell me this new out of this world look is featured!

You just said "out of this world look" and I love you! That is the video. It's intense. You want out of this world? It's definitely there. I'll give you a clue, the cover for Time To Go is one of the looks. It even blew me away!

Think Again and Time To Go are very different sounding tracks. Are we going to see even more diversity on Supercharged?

Actually, the album release date got pushed back a bit because I didn't think it was ready. Technically, it was finished but it wasn't Supercharged enough. I wanted there to be diversity in songs but not diversity in musical genre or theme. EVERYTHING has to be Supercharged. For example, Think Again is going to be on the album, but it's been completely redone. It's gonna be the same song -- you'll be able to recognize it, but it's now more in line with my dance-pop sound. Think Again is actually to thank for this change. It was the first single I had remixes done for, and it became an "Ah-Ha!" moment where I realized this is the kind of music I should be making all the time.

What are some other tracks you can tell me about?

Supercharged is done; Vicious will be on there. Think Again, like I said, is totally revamped. Time To Go will be on there. That's all I can say for now. It's like being on a first date. You don't wanna give it all away or else there's nothing to look forward to.

Well we've already discovered you like drag queens. What is some of the other involvement you've had in the LGBT community?

I have a very strong stance on equality. How can we live in a country that declares all men (and women!) are created equal, yet we have an entire class of people who don't have equal rights solely because of their sexual preference? We must end this discrimination. Marriage equality is a civil rights issue. It's heartbreaking to see this form of institutionalized discrimination trickle down so much that we see kids being ridiculed and bullied because of their sexual orientation. Our goal should be to put an end to this discrimination so we can see an end to anti-gay bullying and the related suicides. My hope is that that as I continue to write music and perform, I can encourage people to join together against inequality. I want to spread my messages of equality and empowerment. I may not be gay, but I am an LGBT advocate and I want to lend my voice in any way I can.

How has the response been from the gay community?

I'm blown away by it, actually. I never write music trying to impress any one group in particular, but the response from the gay community has been tremendous. I'm so glad there is a connection. And I have to say, performing for my gay fans is always an amazing experience. There are no inhibitions, just music and feelings. I look forward to getting to know my fans even more.

Before we go, is there anything you'd like to say to those who've supported you so far?

Wow. I just want to thank my supporters. I want them to get Supercharged and BE Supercharged. I'm thankful that I can connect to all of my fans. It fuels me and helps keep me motivated to make even more music. I have been receiving so much love and energy and I feel it's my duty to give it all back through my music. It's a never-ending love circle. I feel so blessed and fortunate for all the support!

Such an amazing person! Definitely one of my personal heroes. You can get her new single "Time To Go" on iTunes. Also, don't be afraid to visit her Official Website and preorder her upcoming album, "Supercharged." I promise, you wont be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment