Friday, January 4, 2013

2012's Biggest Misses: Willam's Other Releases

Where to begin with this one. It's not exactly that I accidentally missed all the other stuff Willam has put out over the course of 2012... it's just that she releases so much freaking music all the time! This lady never stays still for too long, and for only being a household name since January of last year, she already has a resume longer than some people who've been going at it for years.


Willam Belli songs can be categorized in two ways: Original songs that are pretty good and hilarious amazing parodies. So let me think here for a moment. I covered Chow Down and Let's Have A Kai Kai, both parodies, as well as Trouble, both the original and Jared Jones mix. That leaves us with four or so songs and a few videos. Let's just cover the highlights shall we?

Let's start with "Love You Like A Big Schlong". This is probably the single most hilarious parody in the history of all history. No, seriously. The song is an ode to the infamous disqualification on Drag Race, as she was taking congigal visits from her boyfriend in her hotel room. Apparently getting the D is more important to Willam than winning. I mean she's obviously the biggest star from the show this season. Sharon who?

She released a few more original songs over the course of 2012, too. "She Doesn't Know" added a flavor of rock to her growing resume. It is also probably the most vocally impressive of the lot, but at the same time it is the least polished sounding. Maybe I know the person who wrote it, maybe I don't. I should probably say more nice things about this.

Also, "Stand By Your Man" is bad. Like... bad bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Willam makes better parodies than original songs -- in my opinion. "Trouble" was fun, but short. So far all of her parodies have been not only funny, but legitimately good songs. "Love You Like A Big Schlong" is still one of my favorite songs of the year. "Chow Down" was a massive hit, and "Let's Have A Kai Kai" is the top parody of the world's biggest gay anthem. Still, though, seven(ish) singles (not just songs or album tracks, but singles) in a year is a very impressive feat. She certainly knows how to jump on the money train while it's still in business.

Also I feel the need to express how much I love the LYLABS video. Not only does it have the hottie pit-crew member Shawn in it, but there really are a lot of huge friggen schlongs throughout. It's pretty NSFW, so if your boss it hovering over you shoulder, about to get onto you for not doing your job and instead reading the world's greatest blog, you probably shouldn't give him a reason to question your sexuality at the same time.



Bye.

1 comment:

  1. Chow Down has the other pit crew member Jason in it. And I'm not a SBYM fan either. I thought it was going to be a dance mix. Not thrilled.
    WILLAM

    ReplyDelete