Thursday, August 20, 2015

Skin Wars Season 2 Episode 10 [Finale Review]

Oh. My. God. I can't contain my excitement. Although I am beyond sad to see that most of my favorites have been sent packing, I still feel that each of our top three deserve to be here. This is it. There's not anything after this. The winner is going to be announced and suddenly I am incredibly happy that this isn't RuPaul's Drag Race so we don't have to wait two more weeks to know the winner.

 


We have our final three! Lana, Avi, and Aryn. I have to say that this season's final three are much more close and rounded than last year. Each of them has a great style, has a lot of creativity, and are good with technical painting. As for who will win, it could be any of them. They all deserve this win, but only one is going to come out on top.

The now very small group gathers around Craig, Ru, and Rebecca for a special surprise. Much like last year, they are getting to finally hear from their families. Anybody who knows someone who's been on a reality show will tell you that you are cut off from the world, so seeing their loved ones after being apart so long must have felt incredible. Lana got a message from her beloved daughter. We got to see a great softer side of this talented woman. Aryn got to hear from her boyfriend (wasn't it fiance?). She has really grown through this whole experience, and has been one of my favorites from the very beginning. Avi got a message from his mother. I love that Avi has remained so adorable throughout the whole thing. He is very innocent, but also very talented. He's humble and yet crazy fierce at the same time. All three of these artists really deserve to win. At this point, it's anybody's game.

Then directly into the mini challenge. A finale with a mini challenge is new. They are told they have to paint the soles of their models feet. They are even offering an advantage for the main challenge if they win. Holy cow that is crazy. Immediately they seem to have a bit of trouble with positioning. With a short hour and a half to go, they have their work cut out for them. Each seems to be doing works inspired by their families, which wasn't exactly stated but was expected.

Avi's hummingbird was breathtaking, but I fell in love with Lana's koi fish from first sight. They were so detailed and beautiful. Aryn's bat was fun looking, but the concept wasn't as clear from a distance. The judges seemed very torn on who they liked, but in the end they gave the final mini challenge win to Avi. He gets the advantage, and they waste no time telling him what it is. The finalists are getting five models to make a multi-body illusion. In seven hours they have to paint five models to make one image. Oh. My. Lord. On the flip side, they are bringing back the old crew. In walk Kyle, Dawn Marie, Fernello, Cheryl Ann, Rachel, and Rio. Say what!? And Avi, as the winner, gets to pick an assistant. Obviously he picks his BFF Kyle. The rest are assigned randomly. Aryn gets Rachel and Fernello, Lana gets Dawn Marie and Cheryl Ann and Avi's last helper is Rio. These teams don't seem very random given Rachel and Aryn not liking Fernello, and Dawn Marie and Cheryl Ann not getting along in the past, as well as Lana and Cheryl Ann being competitors.

Yeah. I see what you did there, GSN.



We did get a fun segment of the group back together at the house, wherein Fernello claimed he was robbed. Yeah, buddy. Sure you were. I would have liked to see more of him, but with Cheryl Ann getting way more screen time and serving as the "villain" for the season, his presence just wasn't necessary for the show.

So I tried to pay attention while the group was planning out their concepts on the workroom floor, but there were so many hot shirtless buff men, I kind of zoned out. From what I gather, they were all being very ambitious with their designs. Aryn had the most challenging team it seemed. She had two people who left early and were told were a bit too amateur for the competition. Lana had the exact opposite challenge with her two helpers. They are both incredibly talented, but they don't work well together. Avi seemed to be the only team that didn't have some kind of major issue. I guess that mini challenge win really did pay off for him.

Before anyone could give things a second thought, the time ran out, an the painters were sent to the main stage. This challenge is so intense. I can't take it.


Before I get to the main stage let me clock their main stage looks because Rebecca looks flawless in that dress. Aryn is adorable as always, and Lana looks like a beautiful, dignified woman. Avi... is there. In a blazer. And a v-neck. With ill fitting pants. But he's so darn adorable! I'll forgive this one. So now we have the big stage looks.

Lana - Her crab had so much detail! I liked the addition of the prosthetics and the pearl. The colors were so amazing and beautiful, and the poses were very dynamic. It worked as a big picture. This piece is probably the best work we have seen from her all year.


Avi - His artists come out one by one, all as different animals. The complete picture was a bit muddy though. It was hard to see the chameleon in the final picture, and I feel like it was a bit of a miss. It had a lot of great details, and it did have a great "wow" factor, but I'm not sure if he has this one in the bag.




Aryn - Her caterpillar to butterfly transition was amazing! I love the concept, I love the transformation, I lvoe the colors. I love everything about this piece. It worked as a full picture, and it worked as a performance. As far as the challenge alone, she totally blew me away. This is my favorite painting from the entire season.


The judges had good and bad things to say about everybody. Avi got hit the hardest with them not getting the full picture, but he got a lot of positive remarks about the transformation. He got teary eyed on the main stage, warming even the coldest heart. Each of these artists really want this win, and the judges have a tough decision to make.

Back on the stage, the painters are so nervous, as am I. I have been so incredibly invested in this show, and I've falling in love with everyone who has been on the stage. Rebecca has us all on the edge of our seats. When the name Aryn comes out, I get excited, and then disappointed immediately to know she isn't the winner. Much like last year when I learned Shannon didn't win, my heart sank. She tried to hard to stay composed, but she couldn't help it.

I had to hold my breath, and given that they shoved in another commercial break, I'm sure my face went blue. Rebecca and the judges definitely drug this out, but eventually we got to see the models with the winner's name painted on it. Lana is our second ever Skin Wars winner. I can't say I'm upset in the least. She was so talented and creative. I'm sad to see Avi lose, but I couldn't help but smile with Lana's over excitedness. She is definitely someone to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment