Saturday, July 14, 2012

Interview: Brandon Hilton Talks Frozen

Maybe you know Brandon Hilton from his music career; maybe you know him from being the twelfth most popular Myspace user of all time, or maybe you are just now hearing about him. The point is he knows how to get his name out. Brandon has come a long way from his early days of being a recording artist. Recently, he sat down with me to discuss where he has been and exactly where he is going. I was able to get the inside scoop on exactly what he has in store for his fans as well as some behind the scenes info on his most recent video and single Frozen.


I'm quite aware of your newest single Frozen, but who exactly is Brandon Hilton?

I am Brandon Hilton, and I am an international pop singing sensation [laughs]. I really don't know how I would describe myself. I'm just me. I make music. Some people like it; some people don't. I'm ready to take over the world.

Well I am already on my way to taking over the universe, so I guess I could give you the world to dictate.

That works!

Taking a look through your back catalog, you have released a lot of music over the past few years. What has been the crowing moment so far for you?

There was a lot of trial and error in my music. Much of my earlier music is experimental, and sounds like it was recorded out of a bathroom on a crappy mic with different random producers. I don't really count the earlier stuff as music, I count it as learning. The song that I released that made me start to take myself seriously was One. I love it and think it is something everybody needs to listen to now more than ever. There is so much hate in the world today and this song is all about coming together and appreciating the love we can all share.

My favorite out of your earlier stuff is Glamour Zombie.

Everyone likes that song!

Its so interesting!

Everyone likes Glamour Zombie. It is my top selling song on iTunes to this day. It has sold more than anything I have ever done. It was my first real song, so to speak. It was the first time I had worked with a big time producer, one who had worked with Lady Gaga, and it was the first time I had a beat custom made for me. I think of it as my first real single. So much history -- herstery.



You better not Rupologize for any of it, either!

Oh no. Never.

Since that era, you have come a long way musically. Frozen has a much more polished sound, for sure. What is your new sound all about?

There were a few blogs that posted about Frozen and reviewed it, and one made a great point that I agreed with fully. They said I had become more comfortable with my voice and more comfortable with my music. I really am, and I know how to handle my voice now.I have figured out how I want my sound to be and I'm not afraid to show that in my music.

Frozen shows a lot of growth, and has received a lot of attention. What feedback are you getting from the track?

Everybody seems to like it so far. Its the first song Ive ever put out without any instant negative remarks being made online. The fans are showing a lot of support and I'm really loving all of their kindness. I'm glad I am finally at that point.

What is the story behind the song?

Frozen is actually a track from my very first album, Dirty On The Dancefloor, originally titled Love Comes First. When I put it out the first time, I never was satisfied with it, and I knew I could do so much more with it. I started going back and rerecording some of my older songs for the new album, and this was definitely one of the top songs on my list. Lyrically, the song is actually very personal. It was about a breakup and feeling betrayed, so obviously it was the best put into use as a pop song.

I was so impressed by the video for Frozen! It looks so professional!

Thank you. I'm glad it doesn't look horrible. I went to Dallas to work with my good friends production company, Rockstar Parking. We spent an entire day trying to come up with a concept for the music video, and we couldn't come up with anything. Finally we just decided to come out with the camera and shoot footage. There was no concept. We just got together some stuff I had made, like the spiked shoulder pads [from the single cover], and went out to shoot. I was actually really shocked at how great it came out.

There was a little bit of plot. I made a note of that in my review!

There is a bit of plot, yes. We had a basic idea of a breakup and reflecting on what happened. It really didn't sync up well until it got edited, though.

For the fans who have been following you all this time, what songs have you re-recorded for the new album?

I am redoing many tracks, but I haven't decided exactly which ones will be included. Ive already redone Frozen and So Ready, but Ive also recorded new versions of Save Me, Out On Top, Glamour Zombie, Tonight, and a ton more -- all the ones I liked. As for new material, Ive written and recorded a ton of new songs, including one with an incredibly famous producer, but I cant announce who it is just yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are the only unsigned artist to be verified on Twitter?

That's the rumor. I haven't seen any other unsigned artists. All the artist Ive seen verified are all on record labels. I'm very proud that I am finally to this point.



Be sure and buy Brandon's new single Frozen on iTunes. Also, be sure and take a look through his back catalog while you can. At the end of July, many of the early tracks are set to be removed so get them while you can. No release date has been set for the new album, but I will keep you all updated as information is passed my way.


1 comment:

  1. Brandon is an amazing artist and his new song #Frozen is blowing up right now!!!! #LoveBrandon

    ReplyDelete