Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sorry I Missed It - Dance With The Devil

Yup. Another new segment. This time, I am going to take a look at some things I missed, and truly regret I did. Sometimes it's because I didn't know it existed and others because I didn't realize it's genius at the time. Regardless, this is the first installment of "Sorry I Missed It." First up: "Dance With The Devil" by a little foreign new wave band I've loved since the dawn of time, The Sounds.




Remember the movie Snakes on a Plane? Hardly. Well that was this group's big entrance into America. Their lead vocalist, Maja, was featured in the theme song along side Cobra Starship and Travis McCoy. Well that was two albums ago. Now, the group has evolved and developed their new wave style. This track, straight off of their latest album "Something To Die For", was a bit hard to swallow for fans at first, given it's strong electro-pop sound.

The video is a bit shocking. The group is being held at gunpoint, tied up, in front of a firing squad. Occasionally, Maja is shown singing in the fetal position completely naked. Eventually, they free themselves and sing the rest of the song, even through a gas attack. Some scenes, especially the closeups on Maja naked, have drawn comparisons to Lady Gaga, given the similarities in their hair and make up, as well as the look and feel of the shot. The rest of the video, however, keeps its individuality.

The dramatic feel of the song meshes very well with the video, and it's message of unity shines through well. It may not have been exactly what people expected out of the group after their previous album, but it works, and it still feels distinctly like The Sounds.

Why Did I Miss It? 
Honestly, I'm not sure. I knew that they had a new album out, but a mix of financial problems and a busy schedule kept me away from this album. Another big factor was that there were no singles released off this album for the US. What ever he reason is, I really am sorry that I missed this song and video. I'll do better in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment