Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ru Paul's Drag Race - Reunion (Season Four)

It's gonna be short and sweet this week folks. It's about time this got wrapped up. What should have been done last week (I never originally planned on reviewing the reunion special) has spilled over into this week. Hopefully this will be quick an painless.


The whole shebang opens up with a dance number. The main cast was dressed all in black, while the top three were dressed in gold. Phi Phi, my phavorite, looked stunning. Chad, my second favorite, looked elegant as always. Sharon was dressed as a beer mug. Moving on.

In true reunion fashion, they sat the queens down one by one and asked them pointless questions, not spending much time on those who weren't top three, Latrice, or Willam. I did, however, find it amusing to watch the audience shots to check out who was in it. I was able to spot Lady Bunny, Morgan McMichaels, Carmen Carrera, and Alaska Thunderfuck (who I was proud of myself to recognize out of drag before they pointed her out in the audience). I think I saw Pandora Boxx for a split second, but I'm not entirely sure, and seeing as I have to stream the episode, I don't much feel like going back and trying to find the exact three frames she may have been in.

The meat of the show came in the later half: WDWD, Miss Congeniality, and the crowning. Willam took center stage, reminding us all how depressing it was that she went home. The secret to why she went home was due to her having her boyfriend visit her while filming, which is obviously a big no-no. Willam didn't seem too bothered, and seeing as she is now infamous and receiving all sorts of press and attention, I wouldn't blame her for not getting messed up over it. She did, however, plug a few songs (Did you know she has a new song out, "Love You Like A Big Schlong" on iTunes?) and hand out sticker scented stickers.

It was a big yawn when it came time for Miss Congeniality. We all knew it was going to be Latrice -- and surprise -- it was. I know she deserved it, but the title was hers from week one, so why try and act like it was some big surprise. What did come as a shock, though, was that she was going to be a professor on Drag Race's spin off, Ru Paul's Drag U. I means she is qualified, but I figured the show had been canceled since Logo went insane and canned every other gay themed show on their network. Oh well. I look forward to seeing more Latrice this summer.

And finally, after dragging it out over ten minutes and a lot of questions and tears, they finally announced who the winner was. Seeing as it was a popularity contest this year (instead of a carefully and justly hand picked choice by the queen of all queens), Sharon Needles won. I like her, don't get me wrong, but she just never really did it for me. I am a huge Phi Phi phan, of course, but in all actuality, I was gunning for Chad to win. Chad had the whole package for me, but that isn't how things turned out. All three of the top girls had what it takes, so I can't say I'm overly disappointed by the choice. Plus, I have the chance to see Sharon perform in a couple of months, which may prove to change my opinions on her.

There you have it: my tainted and crabby opinion on this seasons drag race reunion, which shouldn't have even been reviewed but due to shady queens giving the winner away every year, I was forced to review another episode. Damn... I make it sound like a chore! Hah! Well I know you all will miss my reviews, but for now, Taking Over The Universe will resume being a pop music blog... Until Real Housewives of Beverley Hills starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment