Friday, April 13, 2012

Video Review - Zero Gravity

Zero Gravity is the newest single from international musical sensation Kerli who broke into the music scene with her gothpop smash "Walking On Air", but now she is going in a totally different direction. Some may call her the queen of the rave, but she is more affectionately known as the leader of the Moonchildren.

Note: This review is dedicated to my long time friend Chaice. Not to sound like a whiny emo loser, but without him, I can honestly say I wouldn't be the person I am today. He is the biggest Kerli fan I know, and I hope he gets a kick out of this.


This video is set up in the style to where it doesn't have a lot of plot, but instead mainly is Kerli in a ton of different outfits and being a total badass -- which is exactly what I love to see in a music video. The start of this journey has Kerli hanging upside down wrapped in a cocoon. After a few lines, a couple of odd chicks come and peel her out, revealing her to be completely changed. It was probably a metaphor for her departure from her previous style of music and evolving. That or she just found it cool like I did.

And I call this one Kerli - Metapod form.
Another segment of the video focused on Kerli being a goddess like creature. With a Greek-inspired head piece and a flowing white toga, she is amidst the clouds. This is one of the more tame looks for the video. You'll get what I mean in a moment.

"Come hither" -- And they did.
So yeah. I don't really even know how to describe this next part. She is kind of a geisha. But then again she is also like some kind of raver. I can't explain it, but this is my favorite look for the whole video. One part (which sadly didn't make for a good screen cap) involved her dramatically walking into some kind of vault in slow motion, promoting one of the most epic sequences I have seen in a music video all year.

I'd make another Cutie Honey joke here, but nobody would get it.
I was calling her the queen of rave earlier, and I actually was starting to think that she might have gone the entire video without having a traditional dance look. I was wrong. Multi colored hair styled in what can only be compared to a Vocaloid, she brings it out and breaks it down. She does so many twists and turns that I wasn't even aware the human body was capable of.

Dem shoes!
Eventually, the geisha version of Kerli and her rave alter ego meet up, and in bright burst of light, they two are fused together, revealing a nice mixture of the two, and what can only be described as "True Kerli". This look is by far the most amazing of the bunch, bringing it full circle from the beginning.

And Kerli Metapod evolved into Kerli Butterfree!
Some people might say she used green screens a little too much to the extreme, and while this has truth to it, the final result was actually very amazing. Both visually stunning and mentally moving, the video makes it's way into the top category for the year. With less than a month under it's belt and over a million views, I'd say the Moonchildren are making it a point to get her new vision across.

My opinion may be a bit biased as I have been a long time fan of hers, but I really don't see how the video could get too bad a review. All of the looks were on point, the dancing fit her genre well, and she created a minimalist plot allowing the viewer to make up their own mind on what each part actually means.

You can view the video for yourself here. I highly recommend it!

BONUS:

I promised myself I wouldn't go there... but YAY LESBIANS!

Don't mess with this!

I still can't get over these shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment