Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Phi Phi O'Hara Talks Drag Race and Music

Love her or hate her, Phi Phi O'Hara has certainly made a name for herself on this season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, currently my pick for winner, she is [as of writing this article] in the top three! Even her haters must admit this is pretty impressive. Luckily, Phi Phi is quite generous with her time, and spoke with me about her drag career. Oh and did I mention? I got the scoop on her venture into the musical field. Check it.



You are definitely one of the breakout stars of this season of Ru Paul's Drag Race. Did you see yourself getting this far in the show?

Everybody's dream is to win. Going on the show, I definitely had a game plan to make it far and strategies that people have never used on the show before. In the back of my head I knew I could do it, but I didn't want to psych myself out. There were a lot of talented people on this season, so I'm lucky to still be on the show.

What was your strategy that nobody had used yet?

I used a lot of strategies. From day one, I was scoping out everyone's strengths and weaknesses. It sounds evil, but I was plotting from the moment I stepped in the work room. At the end of the day, it's a game, and like Ru herself said "Play to win."

Watching the show now, do you feel like what is being shown on the show is the real Phi Phi?

Some of it is, and some of it isn't. I'll watch the show with my friends and family, who know me well, and we will bust out laughing. I know how it was, and I know I can be bitchy, but the show makes me look like the alpha bitch of all bitches. That's not me at all. But again, it is TV, and you have to serve them what they want. That's what we did.

Speaking of the alpha bitch, people are making some pretty harsh comments about you on Twitter but you always handle yourself very well. What advice can you give to those being bullied or hated on?

People say that I am the bully and that I attack people on the show, but in reality those are my sisters. They are all like my family. They might not show them coming at me, but we griped at each other all the time; everyone did. I get upset when I hear people talk bad about them because they don't know them. The best advice I could give someone is what I've lived by. The people that have the most to say about you know the absolute least about you. You can't let what these "Facebook Warriors" [people who hide behind their computers and attack you] break you down. They don't know the true you.

You always respond so hilariously to haters! You had to deal with a lot of people calling you racist because of the "Frock The Vote" episode.

Yes! One guy flat out called me a racist! The funny thing is, I have known Dida since I moved to Chicago and we have been friends for years. We make racial jokes to each other all the time. People might find that offensive, but that is just how we are. I think people just love to hate me, so when I saw that comment on Twitter, I wasn't going to let them get to me because they don't know. I made it a joke. I asked, "What race are you so I can pick on you the next time."

That episode was hilarious! I got what you were going for with your Sarah Palin character. I don't get why people didn't understand.

I think people wanted more reasons to not like me. It is a character. We are dudes in wigs and we are not supposed to be taken seriously. The things coming out of our mouths shouldn't be taken so seriously. People have said way worse things than I have said. Everyone just need to relax and enjoy the show. This seasons fans have been really intense. It's not a life or death situation, it is entertainment.

It must have been sad seeing your good friend Dida go, but the very next week you other good friend Kenya came back. How was it having another friendly face back in the work room?

People always think I am the one attacking people, and it always felt like Sharon and Chad versus me at the time. It was hard because if I said something back I would look like the bad guy. On the "DILF" episode, it showed how it was with them saying things about me, and I blew it off. To have someone like Kenya on my side, I actually had someone I could talk and relate to instead of being off by myself.

What about Sharon? Have the two of you made up?

It's funny hearing that because I am friends with all of the girls on the show. We both came into this knowing exactly what we were doing. I have performed with Sharon since the show and they have been some of the best performances of my life. People ask me if I know about the show where Sharon rips my head off. I think it's hysterical. I encouraged her to do it.

In the episodes that have aired so far, what was your favorite runway look you have done?

I really loved the pregnancy outfits. I was giving maternity wear realness. My all time favorite, though, was the turquoise outfit for the Dragazine episode. I literally had nothing to wear for that episode. There was a square piece of fabric on the floor and it became the joke for work room that I was going to take it, cut a hole in it, and wear it down the runway. It ended up being really pretty and the judges loved it.

The judges have been really harsh this year. Knowing what you do now, what would you change to suit what they are looking for?

The makeup thing was the biggest thing they critiqued me on in the beginning. I paint for nightclubs and on stage, I had never been on TV in drag before, so they would rip me apart for that. For a while, I kept saying "No, this is my look. I won't change for anybody." In reality, they are there to help you. They might seem mean or critical, but they are there to guide you. It's up to you whether you take it or just spit it back.

Speaking of fashions, I saw on your Facebook page you are developing your own line of eye wear.

I have always worked in the optical industry, so I didn't realize until I was on TV how interesting my glasses were. I actually need these glasses to see -- I have a lazy eye and I can barely see out of it at all. People thought they were just a fashion accessory, but when they found out they were real, they wanted some. I thought it would be cool to come out with my own line with the colors I wear on the show.

Now let's get to the meat of this. You have a song. I need the details.

The song is done. It is called "Queen of Clubs". I teamed up with an amazing producer named Zach Adams. Are you familiar with him?

Yes! He works with XELLE.

I didn't want to be taken as just a drag queen releasing a single. I wanted to expand the genre and do something different. I wanted to make music that whether you like me or not, is relatable. It is going to be released April 17 with a video made this summer. It has been a dream to make an album, and not only am I making one, but actually I am doing a second one as well.

You have been a singer for most of your life, correct?

Yeah. Since I was five years old. To be honest, I didn't understand drag when I first saw it. I always wanted to be a singer. It is kind of ironic that drag came first, but my passion has always been music.

Wait. This just sunk in. Two albums?

I have two coming out. The first one is Phi Phi and will be very dancey and poppy. The second will be Jerami and will be more romantic and R&B. Think Bruno Mars. They will be released separately as two different EPs. The Jaremi EP is still unfinished.

The single is still coming out first, as scheduled, right?

Yes. That is "Queen of Clubs" by Phi Phi O'Hara featuring Jaremi.

Both persona are present in your song! How cool.

I wanted to step out of the box and see that I am not just another drag queen doing music. I am a real artist. I want to show a different side of queens doing music.

9 comments:

  1. ugh. I can't wait until this talentless car alarm fades into a distant memory. In case you haven't been paying attention, Jerami (srly?), you've made quite a career of people hating you. Don't expect that to translate into sales of your stupid glasses or of your music. Your arrogance is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your comments. Astounding indeed. This thing just does not get it. PEOPLE HATE YOU! Even if you win, PEOPLE HATE YOU! There is nothing I have said to you on Facebook that I would not say right to your face. I tried to discuss your poor attitude with you and you ignored me or deleted my comment, so I just started reading you Pee Pee. There are whole groups on Facebook dedicated to hating you...that is sad. And as for the interviewer...really? Kiss ass much? Lame interview with two lame participants.

      Delete
    2. I'm really sorry the two of you feel that way. I respect how you feel, but I must say I was not sucking up. If you read my reviews, you will see I have liked Phi Phi from the beginning. We all have our own likes and dislikes in a performer, and no one's opinion is better than someone else's.

      I do thank you for taking the time to read my interview though. I have more in store for the year, and judging by your comments, you'll probably like those better.

      Delete
  2. So, while you were watching yourself on TV, all you could see was how cool were your glasses? Nothing you did or say embarrassed you? As for your musical stylings, I saw your Ugliera on the show. Was that also edited to sound bad? Willam you're not, hunty, so drop the "artist" pretenses. I hope this video helps you to fall into oblivion (from the universally hated status)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to hear a sample of her song, honestly, because I didn't ask to. Thus, I cannot say one way or another. I can't say I'll automatically like it just because it is Phi Phi (other RPDR girls have released some flops), so I didn't post anything one way or another yet. I'll keep what you said in mind and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. She is so deluded and self-absorbed. I'm sure she and her abusive family sat there and laughed while they watched Phi Phi screaming insults and bullying the other contestants every episode. You said all of those things, no amount of editing could put those words or petty scowls into your mouth every five seconds. I wouldn't even pirate anything this bitch puts out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that the finale taped live just a couple weeks ago showed NO support at all for her from her peers says it all. And Willam said it best. They are colleagues who are cordial. Period.Of course they are, all the RPDR queens have to work together after the show. She has battled with SoCal queens in real life on social media so she won't be working there any time soon. Luckily she thinks moving to New York will give her a music career. Let's see another life strategy fail and maybe she'll wise up and take Chad's advise about trying to get smart before age 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ITA swarm! From the first episode, all I saw was a tiny man who is a big bully. Delusional is a good word for all this. Sociopathic is another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!!!!!!!! i love phi phi ohara i think she is sooo sexiiii i can wait to hear her songs one of my favorite drags i cant wait to start dragingand hopefully be one rupauls drage race as Sasha ohara if phi phi dont mind or sasha dereon.

    ReplyDelete