Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Exclusive Interview - The Princess

It's no secret. I love The Princess. She was one of my top picks for the newest season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, but sadly, she had to sashay away far too quickly. Whether you loved her or you hated her, it is impossible to deny this queen's fierceness. Luckily, she is the nicest person on the face of the earth, and she took the time out of her busy schedule to answer some questions I know we have all been asking.



How would you describe "The Princess"?

So you're just gonna start with the hard questions, huh?

Look, I'm not here to play nice!

[Laughs]
I'll be honest before I even get to your question that I hate to gloat and talk about myself. I know that when you go on TV you have to expect that kind of thing, but its so hard for me to do. As far as your question though, I don't know if I can describe her.

Then how about how you created her.

If I were to be a girl, I would want to be classy; I would want to be polite. I would want to wear very fine things. I think if you look at my runway I gave very classy, trendy, and fashion forward looks. She's kind of amazing if you think about it. Who wouldn't want to be her friend.

Exactly! Your final two runway looks were amazing. Especially the final one. I don't know if it was on purpose, but I got a total Amber Rose vibe.

Are you kidding me? I'm a huge Amber Rose fan. There are very few people who have caught that. That bitch rocks no hair like it's nobody's business, and she is sickening. She's a thicker girl too, she's got body and curves. I'm so glad you picked up on that because that was exactly what I was going for. People called it androgynous, and yeah, I get it, but Amber Rose is a big inspiration and really what I was going for. Again, thank you for picking up on that.

Is it in Princess style to be so multifaceted?

Yes! That's one thing I've been telling people throughout this entire experience is that you never know what you're going to get from me. It has really been highlighted in Drag Race lately that Phi Phi is "Pageant" or Sharron is "Spooky" but I don't want to be held to a definition. Why be this one? Why not be all of them -- all of them at the same time? That's what I love about my style of drag. You can't pin point it. That's what makes it fun for me.

Let's get to the hot topic for you. People are saying you were too boring. I didn't think so, though.

Well of course I didn't think I was boring.

 

What would you tell someone who had only watched the show and only seen this one part of you?

I would say what I've been saying to people. Television has to make money. How do you get viewers? Drama. How do you sell ad space? Viewers. I get it. I'm not dramatic. Adam [Princess as a boy] is not dramatic. I'm not going to cause a fight or call someone names. That's not my nature. My attitude and my gusto comes out in my drag. If you can't see that, I feel bad for you. To me, that is what drag is about. It's not about wrestling someone in a ring or selling albums, it's about being fierce on the runway. That's what it's about for me.

If you could change it, would you have played along more?

I am so ecstatic that I came home and I was able to say "That was me. I stayed true to me." I gave what I wanted to give on the runway, and I stayed true to myself as a person and as a human being. I never, ever want to make somebody feel bad. Being hateful and hurtful to people is the last thing on my list to ever do. I'm very happy with the way I played it. Now if they were to ask me back for an All-Star season, you bet I would play the game completely different. Does that mean I would be catty and bitchy? No, but I would definitely stand out more.

Two part question! (I love these) So first, You didn't get to participate in the "Queens Behind Bars" episode. Do you think this, being the third acting oriented challenge in a row, would you have struggled with this one as well?


Believe it or not, I did plays and musicals in high school. Learning lines isn't anything new. Again, it's TV. The edits showed a lot of my mess ups to stay in sync with me going home.

Part two! Who would you be in the Snatch Game?


I don't know if I want to say! I think I may be playing along at home. I'm did a photoshoot for my look I would have done for the Jail episode runway, and I want to do the same thing for the Snatch Game. Everybody will just have to see when I get the photos out.

Now for the question on everybody's mind. Is The your real first name?

No. Not at all
.
[Awkward silence]

I started out as just "Princess." When I would be announced on stage, they would say "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the stage Ms. Princess." Well that sounds stupid. It sounds awful. A good three or four years after I started performing I added "The" to it, so it wouldn't sound so horrible. Of course you wouldn't say "Ms. The Princess." When I'm being announced, "The" should be present, but in a one on one conversation like this, it's just "Princess."

Have you kept up with any of the girls from the show?

I try and follow all of them on Twitter, but it can be too much. My twitter feed was pretty much all Drag Race Four girls. Basically all we do is retweet. Sadly I've had to unfollow a few of them just to be able to keep up with my actual friends.

Now that you've gained so many fans in such a short time, what would you like to say to everybody who is supporting you?

I always try and respond to everyone individually. I always respond with a thank you. I think gratitude is a very important thing. I have gained a lot of fans and most of them are saying I should still be on the show. I love hearing that and I appreciate it so much. I said this in a thank you video I made the night I was kicked off. I know people say "you haven't seen the last of me" and it can be cliche, but I really don't think people have seen the last of me. I have a lot more to give.

And she genuinely was sincere. Take a look at the video she shot on the night she was sent home, and remember - Long Live The Princess.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview! The Princess always seems like he is true to himself and so positive. Thanks for giving fans of The Princess, like me, a closer look.

    ReplyDelete