Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Album Review - Night Wave

Oh. My. God. I love Hyper Crush. So much. Never before has a band managed to keep my attention so long. I have taken up stalking them recently, and tweeting them constantly. Did I mention I love them? This album is just what I needed in my life right now: Nonsensical techno-babble. God yes. Shall we get on with it before I make a bigger idiot of myself?



The album opens up with the best possible example of what the new Hyper Crush sound is. They have shifted from their more pop and radio friendly techno sound to a more club sound, and the transition works quite well over all. The major difference (sans two songs I will get to later) is that they feel more intense and experimental. "Werk Me" is a nice bridge into the new club bounce feel of the trio. You get the best of both feels in the lead in track.

Not that the group forgot about their old fans. Several songs on the album have that old superdance feel to them. Major internet hit "Maniac" is on the album. This was was the last of the old age for Hyper Crush, in my opinion. This song would have blown up the radio had all radio DJ's not been retarded by ignoring it. Another pre-album song "Fingers Up" shows up here, and I really have to say I hate this song so much. I can't even put into words why or how. But I end up singing it anyway. I guess that is the way of Hyper Crush. Whether you love it or you hate it, you're gonna love it. Also there was "Flip The Switch" which I was really obsessed with but then "Werk Me" happened and I sort of forgot it existed.

My stand out track on the album was definitely "Bad Boyz." I actually feel bad for saying this because I pre-selected it as my favorite after watching the Night Wave Preview Video about a thousand times. This song leans more towards the pop side I was talking about earlier, but it is just so catchy and Holly rocks that chorus proving that she can keep pace with the boys. "WTF" is a very close second as far as non-singles go. These two better be top picks for next single!

Some of the song on the album are a bit forgettable. "Chead"'s title in and of itself turns me off a bit, but the song isn't as bad as my first couple of listens lead me to believe. It, along with "Chrome Pipes" would be so much more fun with a lot more people or in the club. Listening to them alone in my room just doesn't get it done for me. I don't know if there is an excuse for "What Goes Up" though. I just... No, Hyper Crush. No.

It has come to my attention that I get distracted with "Flip The Switch" every time I listen to the album so I have yet to pay attention to "The Foundation" yet. Hold please while I listen to it.

Love it.

I know this review is a bit more random that my others, but I have been attempting to take a different approach to writing lately. Out with the old bland by the book Gao and in with the psycho bitch I've been hiding inside. Well, I won't let him loose all the time, but I hope you guys understand.

Awesome album. Buy it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment