Saturday, November 19, 2011

Album Review - Entourage

Ok, ok. I know that I am pretty much a fanboy for Bentley Jones and all, but he really is talented. He has been churning out song after song for the past few months, and they have all been amazing tracks. Who else can say that? Nobody that I can think of. He said the crazy release schedule will take a break for Christmas, but hopefully at the first of the year, it will all come back into focus and the world will keep on giving Mr. Jones the attention he deserves. But for now, let's talk about his latest mini-album "Entourage".



The album starts out with it's best foot forward. "Stutta" is bar none the best track of the four. Sang half in English and half in Japanese, it can be hard to understand what the song is actually about. With the help of my long time friend Sarah, queen of all things Mana-Sama, I figured out what the song was about. In English, he portrays a stornger part of his persona, while in Japanese, he appears more vulnerable. Some of the Japanese bits include:
I don't like to be alone,
I want to talk
Every time we meet,
when I see you before my eyes
I can't move
I don't know why I can't
stutter
Also whenever you are near,
I can't speak
I can't eat
but whenever I still see you,
I stutter
While not a full translation, it is still pretty good and gives a clearer picture of his situation. Being in love with someone can be hard, but it's even harder when you can't even find a word to say. A fun tidbit about the song is that the title is never actually said in English, only in Japanese. "Domoru" means "stutter", and saying it as "Do-do-do-do-domoru" makes it even more satisfying.

The title track, "Entourage" is another track featuring the rapper Curtis Young. He rapping bit seems a bit more out of place in this song than their previous duet "Muzik", but I still really like the song. "You only see me as a cash machine" has to be the best line I have ever heard in a song. The song carries a motion of doing away with fame seekers who only want to be with you because you are famous. The latter half of Curtis's rapping feels less out of place, and I really hope the two of them keep working together in the future.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of "Joyful". It feels like a Christmas song. I have never liked Christmas songs. On the other hand, it sounds an awful lot like a Psycho Le Cemu song, an older Japanese pop group I was obsessed with as a teen. I really dont know what it is I really have against the song. Asthetically, it's a great track, but there is just something about it that bothers me. Maybe once I get into the Christmas spirit I'll dig this song a bit more.

The final track on the mini-album is called "My Name Is Bentley - Bendayo". Yeah. It's another song that features Japanese a lot, but not as heavily as the first track. This one serves as another "look at me and how awesome I am" jam that he is known for. It is seen as a celebration for his rising fame in Japan, and it is well deserved. I like the track, but I wish it was a bit faster. The backing vocals are actually more interesting than what is going on in the foreground, as they use a lot of vocal effects and Ke$ha-esque stuttering.

I really do enjoy this mini-album quite a bit. I am really ready for a full album from Bentley. The next one really needs to include Bad Boi, though. I feel like that is his best work to date, and started this new direction for him. Bentley isn't your Sega singing good boy any more. He isn't afraid to show his dirty side, and I LOVE it!

You can pick up the album on iTunes for only $3.96. Sounds like a steal, no? Also, I'd like to give my friend Sarah another BIG shoutout for all her help! She runs an awesome website that is everything Mana-Sama, another Japanese music star.

No comments:

Post a Comment