Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Drag U Tue - Naughty Nurses

Big news! The Raven Show has been canceled! Please stay tuned for a review of Drag U episode five: Raven Gone Missing. What? Oh she did the Drag Tip segment. Never mind. Anyway, We're already at episode five, "Naughty Nurses". And let me tell you -- These nurses are the furthest thing from naughty.

  

We are introduced to three women. Lanell, a former Penthouse model dubbed Angel Esprit and paired with Jujubee, Hope, a mom who put everyone first named Tawny Fox left with Shannel, and Kim, a woman who has given up on trying any more due to a traumatic few years given the name Nikki Minaj Vixen and partnered with Mariah. Looks like we have one hell of an episode on our hands.

Actually, despite the promos for the episode, which didn't do it justice, this has actually been my favorite episode this season. The women are likable, the professors are amusing and well dressed, and the lessons they learn feel very real. Usually when I watch an episode of Drag U, the women are in the background, and I'm just in it for the catfights and professors from Drag Race past. This time, however, I really felt for them. The drama was real and the women were easy to connect with.

That being said, I still really enjoyed the drama going on. My love/hate relationship with Shannel continues here yet again. I just don't know if I buy her. During Drag Race, she was pretty manipulative and self centered. I understand people can change, and she looks to have, but every now and then you see her selfishness pop up. I really am warming up to her though. Her costumes are more outlandish than the other professors (Causing some drama I'll get to soon) and she knows how to brand herself well. She's the showgirl of the group, and she won't let you forget it.

Filling the role of instigator in for Raven is professor Mariah. Maybe I missed it, but I don't really remember her being so manipulative or caddy during the run of Drag U. She always seemed to be the more classy lady, but for the past two episodes she's the one perpetuating all drama that goes on in the Drag Lab. She mocked Shannel and Jujubee both continuously throughout the episode. I was a little shocked. I mean it's one thing to fight back when Raven shows her claws, but its another to openly mock those around you... Ok so I love it. I love bitches. I have a new respect for this lady and she's climbing the closer to the top of my favorite queens. Don't worry, Pandora, she'll never replace you in my heart.

Back at the Lady Lesson with Lady Bunny, we find that women get all of their magical sex appeal powers from their underwear. Who'd have known. Unfortunately these ladies super abilities were hindered by terrible granny panties. I mean really? Anyway, the professors decided to show these girls what they should be wearing and Lady Bunny made them all strip down in their new undergarments and show the world. Thankfully, they were wearing something a little more sexy than before, but still, I am a gay man. I don't want to see that. Can we get the Pit Crew from Drag Race 3 please?


After the Lady Lesson, we cut to a scene of Lanell telling Jujubee about her bout with cancer. This strong and brave woman has been fighting this battle practically alone. This lead to a lot of tears from Juju as she talked about having to be strong through her father's death. I can really relate to this. I think that is why I like Juju as much as I do. It's not that I like her style or eve her attitude sometimes, but I love how strong she is. She isn't afraid to show her emotions, but she knows how to keep composure and strength when necessary. My only upset about this was the lack of revelation. Why didn't it have a bonus scene of Lanell revealing her cancer fight to her children? That would have been the ultimate payoff, but alas, either time ran out or they didn't find a place for it in the episode. Ah well, I guess.

By the time the dance lesson rolled around I was so upset already by Lanell and Juju's struggles that not seeing the adorable Andre there to give these girls the dance routine of their life, I just lost it. Ok, ok. Joking aside, I really wish they would keep a consistent Dean of Dance on the show... and I also wish it would be the adorable Andre.

Before you can blink, Draguation is at hand. First up was Lanell. While I love her personality and story, she just didn't do it for me. She looked like a Lady Gaga impersonator that just didn't get it. The mask looked awkward, skirt was just a bunch of hanging fabric, and the boas just set it over the top. Hope was my shining star tonight. She had the attitude and a hot dress to match. Her hair looked amazing and I was very proud of Shannel for not making another MiniShannel this go around. Hope maintained her individuality and then some. Kim was just... well... I didn't get the Asian theme. Why? It looked a hot mess. The only compliment I could think of costuming wise was the hair. Girl did have some fab hair.

In the end, Lanell won. I was really rooting for Hope, but I can see why they chose who they did. Lanell had a major personality change, a major look change, and finally was going to face the reality that she needed support from her family. It wasn't a bad choice, just not what I would have picked.


Our drag tip this go around was by Raven, who just had to pop up one more time before her show got taken off the air. In case you haven't caught on yet, Im joking and I love the hell out of Raven. Missed you boo! This time she tells us how to use a felt tip marker. You can make a pimple into a beauty mark, sign autographs, and... leave messages on bathroom stalls? Anyway, it was nice to see her one more time. Hopefully she'll pop up again down the line, but not next week. My sources tell me that Mariah will be back with avengance, Bebe will be gracing the show with her elegance... and HOT DAMN! Pandora Boxx will hit the scene. Drag U are you ready for her cooter?

No comments:

Post a Comment