Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Awkward Sing Along Song - Diamond Crowned Queen

We all have them. Songs we know all the words to, even if we think we shouldn't. Those songs who's lyrics are so off the wall, vulgar, or even sexual that we get ever so embarrassed when we are caught singing along by our peers. Maybe you are a straight guy with an affinity for Baby One More Time by Britney Spears. Perhaps you are a nerdy gamer who secretly wants Nicki Minaj's "Boom ba doom boom bass." But enough about my only two readers. This blog is about me and my awkward struggles. Welcome to yet another pointless installment I've thought up: The Awkward Sing Along Song!


Oh God, this song. I've brought this one up before, and yes, it is a strange one. As I've said before, I have a weird love for this song. On the surface it's a hot mess of noise and moaning, but underneath, somewhere, I just... Let's just go on.

The opening of the song is a calm piano. Fair enough. This isn't exactly what I would bump to around town with the windows down, but its not strange yet. The opening line of the song goes as such: "Follow me, follow me. I'm a diamond crowned queen." O...K... I guess this makes sense. Raja did win Drag Race, so I guess she is the queen currently. Now me singing to this is a bit strange, but hey, I'm gay, so I guess I can allow this to continue. "Come with me to my pretty, pretty palace." And cue the My Little Pony theme. Either that or go live with that weird Repunzel chick from Tangled.

I guess I should have expected the song to be overly gay since it is sang by a drag queen, but I really like this song! I can't explain why, and the lyrics certainly don't help my case for trying to make this as good a song as I feel it is. Next up, we have "I'm gonna love you tonight. Gonna lick on your trigger. Every inch will make you quiver." And we have the penis joke. Maybe to those who are deaf or don't speak English, this might fly over your head, but I mean come on. Obvious penis reference is quite obvious. Verbally admitting to everyone around you that you like oral sex can be awkward, but I promise you, this song only gets more weird.



"S-E-X! Yeah! Sex for dinner!" There it is! I knew I'd discover why I have such a strong love for this song. He spells words! In case you haven't taken notice I really have an obsession with songs that spell out words. I mean, Danity Kane's "Damaged", Space Cowboy's "Invisible", Nadia Oh's "N.A.D.I.A. O.H.", Simon Curtis' "Laser Guns Up".. I could go on forever. I have a playlist (not kidding on this one, folks). But still, there is a difference from spelling "Damaged", "Pop", and the singer of the song's name. Sex, while appropriate in the right settings, is not something you want to go around spelling in the middle of the Bible Belt. The end of the phrase is "I'm a thunder breathing dragon betch!" And suddenly Raja is Sailor Jupiter. Who'd have known?

The least awkward part of this song is actually the last new phrase we get in the song. "I'm gonna give you all my love. Much, much more than kisses and hugs." Ok. I can handle this. The song seems to be calming down it's sexual appetite. All is right in the wor-- Oh lord he is moaning. He is moaning a lot. Did he orgasm in the sound booth? These sound real. That guy next to me at the stoplight is looking at me. Oh crap. Change the song!!



Yeah. He moans. A lot. I'm talking over thirty seconds of moaning. What went on while they were recording this song. Did Raven show up and put him in his place? Dear lord I don't know, but I love it. Even if it is a bit... awkward.

I have to say, I knew what I was getting into when I first came across the song. Raja, on the show at least, was always one to push buttons and further the limit on what she was allowed. This song pushes the limits of sexuality in music, no doubt. I'm not going to say it is going to start a revolution or cause a riot, but it certainly is a bit awkward.

Buy the song here. Do it. Pictures were taken from the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment