Saturday, July 23, 2011

Album Review - Stark EP

Allow me to introduce to you something that may just change your view on rock music. Picture this: An all girl rock band singing their hearts out, not a single one of them over the age of eighteen. They dye their hair, rock out harder than the boys, and change the rules of rock-n-roll. No, I'm not talking about the Runaways (as much as I'd like to), I am talking about the new rock group Cherri Bomb.



I have been a fan of these girls for a while now. I'm talking since the Spin video came out. No, not the one I posted as Video of the Week a couple of months ago, I'm talking about the original video for it, filmed in a garage on what looked like a tight budget. These girls have always impressed me, and damn was I glad to see an official release from them, and better yet -- its free! The girls released their debut EP entitled "Stark" recently, complete with two brand new songs and a re-released edition of the track "Spin".


Upon discovering the EP, I was a little disappointed. My favorite song by the group was not included on the EP. "Here to Rock", while a bit unpolished when compared to the rest of their material, was the most energetic of the original three songs they had posted on the official site for the band and felt the most true. The disappointment didn't last long, however, because the two new songs were amazing, and left me hungering for a full album as soon as possible.

"Mirror Mirror" is our opening track, and it gives you a very clear idea of who these girls are from the very beginning. The opening riff is made of pure electric energy and sits the song into motion. The solid whailing rock vocals find their home in the song as it roars on giving pure girl power in the lyrics and feel. Julia, guitarist and lead singer for most songs, it appears, has the perfect voice for rock, and she does a very good job keeping pace with this song and its constant mood and speed changes. The verses roar on, while the chorus and bridge take things a bit more slowly. The song is about a girl who doesn't exactly like what she sees in the mirror. Somehow I get the feeling these girls could kick my ass.

A common factor you will see in my reviews when it comes to rock is that I pay a lot of attention to the bass parts of songs. I have played bass in a few bands in my past, and it has become a love for me. Bassist Rena is no stranger to the four strings, while not exactly highlighted in this song as much as, say, Nia's animalistic drumming, it is still a very strong presence in the song, which I can really appreciate.  The guitar solos are crazy and very well put together. Let's just say that they waste no time with their first track in letting you know that they are very serious about being musicians.

"Already Dead" is the second track, once again starting out with a very strong guitar presence from both Miranda and Julia. This is my favorite song on the EP, as it showcases everyone and has a very catchy off-tempo chorus that is a lot of fun. The lyrics are very relateable, about someone who lies so much that you stop caring. "Your words can't kill whats already dead" is a line that strikes a chord in anyone who has just lost hope in trusting someone they care about. Not that the girls are mushy by any means, but the fact that the lyrics reign very true makes the song much more enjoyable.

The strongest track on the EP is saved for last. While the song has been around for a good while, and even spawned two separate music videos, it is still widely unknown to the mass public. This version of the song is a little different, while it still opens with that strong bass line that I fell in love with, it has a bit more build up, and it sound more mature vocally (probably due to being re-recorded more recently for this release.). Some of the energy seems to be lost in the new recording, but the track is still a very in-your-face song that perfectly demonstrates what the girls are all about and what they are capable of. This version is definitely the polished single they need to launch them onto the music scene, and with the right promotion, these girls stand a chance at being big.

I hate to repeat myself, but I just can't get over how accomplished of musicians these girls are. Both Miranda and Julia can wail on the guitar without breaking a sweat. Nia would give Animal from the Muppets a run for his money (As well as put Raya from Jem and the Holograms to shame). And Rena... Oh Rena. If I were straight you'd probably be my number one crush -- and maybe have to file a restraining order against me? She has talent and looks.

You can currently download the EP for free via their official website. Click on the right-hand side to sign up for their mailing list and get the EP, too.


On a side note, anyone else notice yet another eerie similarity to the Runaways in that they are touring the UK/Ireland heavily before doing an extensive US tour. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment