Thursday, July 21, 2011

Jipsta, Ru, And Sahara Too

Ok, so the rhyming was kind of lame and cliche, but it's my blog and if I want to look stupid, I will. Don't judge me.

The point of this blog entry is to bring up that RuPaul, the queen of all queens, has released a remix EP as an extension of her latest album "Glamazon". Usually I don't give a crap about remixes (unless they are done by notable DJ's/Groups or are hilarious like the Goldfrapp remix for Judas), but this one is special. Why, you ask? How could any old remix catch my attention? Well the opening track, and most "sick'ning" of them all, features the always funny and rather adorable Jipsta. Enter: Sexy Drag Queen.



Jipsta is a character. His solo music is hysterical. I reviewed his album "Bandoozle" last month and I've been bothering him via Twitter ever since. He is buddy-buddy with all my favorite drag queens, making me jealous all the time by talking about hanging out with Pandora Boxx and Sahara Davenport! Yes, the world revolves around me, obviously. All joking aside, I am a big fan of both Jipsta and RuPaul, and this song doesn't disappoint.

The song is pure dancey fun, and it doesn't really sound like a remix. Ru's voice is very autotuned, but as I've said time and time again, I don't place a lot of value on singing well. It sounds horrible, but thats how it is. You can have an amazing singing voice, but if you are boring, I, as well as the majority of the country, won't give a damn. Ru knows how to have fun and how to work with what she's got.

Jipsta's verse is a plea for us to all party with him. Amen, brotha. He is kind of like that announcer at all those sporting events I don't go to but see in movies -- or a beauty pageant emcee. Announcing that you better bow down to the queen as she makes her way through.

Speaking of queens, Ms. Davenport continues to taunt me with her upcoming single. She has released a snippet of the studio version of "Go Off" on youtube and has been hammering it on her twitter... and I finally caved in and listened to it. My initial plan was to ignore it until it came out so it could be this amazing surprise, but I just couldn't resist any more. The song is HOT! Give it a listen for yourself.



I really hope this girl puts out a full album. I hate seeing the trend of endless singles being released. So many people either loose interest or loose funding and never get to release an album. I have a lot of faith in Sahara, though. She knows how to make a good track, as proven with "Pump With Me". Maybe we could even see a collaboration with Manila in the future?

Check out my review of "Bandoozle" here. You can buy "SuperGlam DQ" and the "Sexy Drag Queen" Remix feat. Jipsta here. And if you haven't yet, get Sahara Davenport's first single "Pump With Me" here.

Also: I'd like to give a big thank you to Jared Jones! He was a good sport in that I forgot to credit him. It was a huge oversight and kind of embarrassing. He's got three mixes on "SuperGlam DQ" so you'd best check them out!

1 comment: