Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Mason Black

In a sea of music out there it can be hard to find something really meaningful and honest -- something that speaks to you. Most of the time you have to wade through a load of crap before you find a gem, but sometimes... some very rare times you have something fantastic fall from the sky and smack you in the face. This, my friends, is the case with Mason Black and I.


The strange thing is Mason actually found me. He added me on Twitter after seeing a post on my blog (though I never got it out of him which post drew him to the site to begin with) and asked me very politely to check out his music. He has two singles available on iTunes. Cruel Embrace and Showdown are available for purchase (and please do so). After buying both and raiding Soundcloud to listen to yet another song of his, I decided I quite liked him, and I let him know. He was very eager to reply and wanted to tell me everything I wanted to know. And I do mean everything.

Check the interview under the cut.


[Gao]

Why don't you start off telling me a bit about yourself.

[Black]

I was born in Germany, my family was military. We relocated to Montana when I was really young, and I spent most of my early years there. I discovered music out there. It was a really fundamental part of my upbringing. I was raised Southern Baptist. My father was a deacon. It was an interesting upbringing. We left Montana in '98 and settled on the east coast. From there I went to NYC and really started to get deeper into music. Last year I was in LA, and it further cemented my need to do this. It's definitely more of a need at this point.

[Gao]

Jumping straight into the music, you told me on twitter that you were pushing for a fall release for your album. What can you reveal about your record?

[Black]

It's been a struggle getting this record written. It's literally all of my most private thoughts. These are my journals. I write daily and it can be daunting knowing that people will hear these songs and in essence you are opening up your private feelings to public discussion.

It's so personal. Cruel Embrace for instance was written at the end  of a relationship this past summer. It was a really rough time for me, and I wrote that song in the midst of it. It's never with the intention of getting back at anyone, it's just how I handle my emotions. It's my way of dealing. Peter Litvin, the producer I've been working with on this project has been so fantastic in his encouragement. He's really helped me just let it all out and make the final product something I can be really proud of.

It's definitely a very pop record though. What's the point in sharing something personal, if no one can relate to it or wants to play it?

[Gao]

Can you reveal the title yet?

[Black]

It's tentative. I feel like once all the songs are finished I'll be better able to collect myself with it and name this child. For now, it's an embryo. I tossed around different ideas. I haven't really reached the point where I know if I should be painting the walls blue yet, if you know what I mean.

[Gao]

Your songs are about personal experiences. Who influences your musical style, then?

[Black]

Style wise I pull from many places. I'm really big in retro sounds. The 80's and 90's being the place I'm most comfortable. Everything from Soft Cell to Ace of Base. With a heavy dose of just rogue American thrown in there. My parents are from Texas originally. I think it comes out. For instance, "More to Me" had a decidedly country feel when it was written, and I think it was able to maintain some of that. The jaw harp on the track for instance, which was real and was played by Peter Litvin. Things like that are important to me. I want a pop record, that merges my love of synthetic and organic sounds.I pull so heavy from the music I listened to as a kid. It was killer dance pop from my sister, and the old bluegrass of my parents.

It for sure made a lasting impression. I just want to do it all, and let it be a happy marriage of the different lyrical styles and melodies.


[Gao]

So it's safe to say we can expect to see a wide variety of styles from you?

[Black]

I'd say so. It'll always be pop, or in that realm, but I love acoustic sounds so much. I don't think I'd ever go away from that, but I like to dive into electronic music because it's so free. Pop music in general is that way. I'd rather be a pop star who can try new things than a rock star who is always strapped to electric guitar riffs.

Music should be fun. I'd hate to be static

[Gao]

Switching gears a bit, I've seen on Facebook and iTunes alike that fans are very receptive to your music. How do you feel the reception on your music has been so far?

[Black]

I've been stunned. I NEVER expected it. I do this because frankly, I can't do anything else. I sing and I write because I have to so to see that response, it's been really special. It's amazing what it can do for one's self esteem! 780 new fans in less than a month is insane for someone like me who has no real promotion or real buzz. It hasn't been easy though. There are still people who'd like to take you out.

[Gao]

OK I have to ask. Straight, Gay, or Bi?

[Black]

I believe in free love in the sense that I'm not bound by gender. I fall in love with hearts and minds, not genitals. Cruel embrace for instance, was about a man, but my songs are not always.

[Gao]

Seeing as my blog is driven more for the gay crowd, have you noticed any particular reception or love from the LGBT community?

[Black]

So far, yes. It's been great.I think my music is so universal, anyone can relate to it. I take care to try not to use too many gender oriented pronouns in my music, because I want whoever is listening to be able to relate to it just as much as the next person , regardless of sexual orientation

[Gao]

That is a great idea, actually. I'd like to thank you for your time. Do you have any last words for the readers before we go?

[Black]

I thank everyone for taking the time out of their day to listen to my music. It means the world and I love the warm reception I've been given. I hope I can impress them and I ask for their continued acceptance and love.and watch out because I'm going to go down swinging!

------------------------

Isn't he a sweet heart? I find myself relating to him more and more with every song of his I listen to. "Say you want to love me, but you just don't know how." Everyone needs to buy his songs on iTunes and fan him on Facebook and Twitter. I have faith that he will go far.


Edit: Here is his newest song available exclusively on Soundcloud.
More to Me by MasonBlack

No comments:

Post a Comment