Thursday, May 19, 2011

Album Review - Colours

In my infinite love for Space Cowboy, I have ventured out to give some of his friends a try. I like to think of Nadia as his protege, as he has spent a lot of time shaping her up, and I have to say, this new album is a vast improvement over her first. Upon hearing the leak of the title track a few months back I knew she was stepping things up. Let's take a look at these tracks



01. Hocus Pocus
 
This is a great opening track. It gets straight to the point with the bompin' beat and her party or die attitude. The beat is very reminiscent of a Dr. Luke song, but it's the vocals where the song becomes truly unique. Nadia finally shows her ability (or at least a decent attempt at) singing. She may not be the best singer in the world, but she tried and I gotta give her props. As for the lyrics, she is once again chasing after this same mysterious beautiful man from the first album. Maybe it's Space Cowboy? Lyrics are solid... except for the "OMG LOL" portion towards the end...

02. Is That You

This one is probably my favorite on the album. It is one of the songs where she spins out some pretty solid raps. I have to say, though, that the random Minnie Mouse-like voice in the chorus is a little creepy. The song is all about her trying to find out if this sexy guy is really who she thinks he is. Despite being repeditive, I really love this song and I sincerely hope it is her next single.

03. Jump (Out The Window)

I am conflicted with this one. It starts out really well with the basic chorus line being repeated a few times, but then it goes into a beat that sounds like a bad Black Eyed Peas rip off. Compound this with her rhyming "London" with "London", I just didn't really care much for the song. The lyrics, as always with Ms. Oh, are quite amusing. She boasts a big ego, but thats why I dig her. If you believe you are awesome, other people will too, and if they dont, they are just jealous.

04. Taking Over The Dancefloor

 This song... I just don't dig it all. The song starts out with a very autotuned Nadia threatening to take my money, which continues for a good forty seconds until an annoyingly loud breakdown. I just don't see this as single material at all, which floored me when I found out this is her leading single for the album. I'm not saying this song is terrible, but I don't feel like it represents the album. This song feels like a song that was cut from her first album, as it has the older style of her music to it as opposed to the newer electro-pop feel.

05. Soopermodel

First of all... Sooper? Really? Uhg. Anyway, despite the poor grammar the song is pretty catchy. It starts off fumbling a bit, but as it progresses it turns out pretty good. Seeing as she keeps commanding you to "do the soopermodel", I'm guessing this song will need a video to make sense. It seems to be a type of dance... I dont know. Anyway, this is a solid track, but it doesn't stand out on it's own. 

06. So Unforgettable

This song is more of an interlude with the same vibe as "Is That You" but with quicker lyrics and a new chorus. This song is yet another big-egoed track, but just like before it's what I've come to expect from her. This is the kind of track you could blare with the windows down as you drive by an ex who needs to see how incredibly awesome you've become. And what a coincidence! It's just long enough for a  drive by mocking, too!

07. Amsterdam

This song is... strange. All I really gather from this song is "Amsterdam is for the win, yo". It is very sexual driven as she talks about sexy guys while she's tripping on acid in Amsterdam WHERE THIS KIND OF THING IS TOTALLY LEGAL. The song is pretty short and leaves the person with a blank stare wondering what they just heard.

08. Beauty & A Beast

 After a few "wtf" tracks, we finally get back to being awesome with this track. The song is about a wild girl who is totally hot, but a complete beast in bed. The song is fun and upbeat and totally my style. I am in love with the "rawr" sample in the background, and I now throw in a random "rawr" to songs as I sing along with them... but mostly when I just forgot the lyrics. I could see this song being a big hit quite easily.

09. Colours

Let me start by saying I knew all the words to this song coming into this. The song was leaked to the internet months before the album dropped, so I'd been jamming to this for a while now. Aside from the annoying edits (such as a DJ scratch on the word "E" for ecstasy, but whatever). The song's verses are sung in the style of "Heart of Glass" by Blondie and I LOVE IT! The song is all about her hearing a guy ramble about what he's seeing while he's bugged out on ecstasy. "Purple skys and candy rain/Pink balloons and airplanes".  The lyrics are amusing. The vocal effects are amusing and unique. The song is golden.

10. DJ's Girlfriend

And now we learn more about Nadia's mysterious crush! He's a DJ! Anyway, the song is another great track about how she admires a DJ and would do anything to be his girlfriend. The best part of the song is the bridge where she confesses about how he is amazing and making the crowd go "gaga".... maybe this mysterious DJ is Spacey after all.  The song is pretty short, clocking in just under three minutes, but it is a nice and fun way to end the

So there you have it. I have to say that Ms. Oh has come quite a ways. Her first album, while great, feels very unpolished after hearing her new tracks. I am very satisfied with my purchase. This album shows that artists really do grow -- Even if it is just from being an Egyptian princess to Queen of Amsterdam.

Top Track: Is That You
Current Single: Taking Over The Dancefloor
Next Single Prediction: Beauty & A Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment