Monday, October 1, 2012

Album Review - Alphabeat "Express Non-Stop"

Warning: The review of this album will be incredibly biased because I believe Alphabeat to be on of the top five pop groups of all time. Like ever. So you should probably disregard everything I have to say on the matter. Or you can bow down to me and my undeniably correct opinion. Anyway, it's time for some friggen' new Alphabeat!


This album wastes no time getting you acquainted with exactly what you are in for. "The Beat Don't Stop" is a really awesome intro, getting the listener pumped, and dancing all a the same time. The song features both vocalists, which automatically puts it high up on my list, as I have a thing for tracks that feature both a male and female vocalist. The song does feel a little too short, but I believe it was meant mostly to just be a starter song, a sampler if you will, and simply allows for the album to flow on.

The thing most of the fans were complaining about was the lack of a strong single. While I can admit it took a great deal of time for "Love Sea" to grow on me, "Vacation" was love at first listen. I have no idea what peoples' problems are with these tracks, but all I can think of is that they weren't as perfect as those spun from "The Spell". That doesn't mean they aren't great pop songs, but their last album was pretty much the perfection of pop, so it could be a hard thing to live up to. Both singles are still great songs, and "Love Sea"'s vocals have really stuck with me after a while, and now I find myself sputtering the chorus at random parts of my day.

"Since I Met You" is a very different song for Alphabeat, sounding much more disco than their usual 80's pop genre. I really enjoyed the change of genre, even if they were able to keep the vibe distinctly their own. This is where you can really tell that ABBA is an influence of theirs, especially with the harmonizing background "oooh"s. The lyrics, much like the rest of what they have come out with ever, are very cute, describing an innocent love song. These guys never get dirty, but that's ok with me.

The track "Mad About You" started off sounding like the "Chess" of this album (my least favorite track due to it being awkwardly slow), but the pace picks up a little ways into the song, featuring layered vocals of both singers. The piano takes center stage here, overpowering the rest of the instruments for most of the song, creating a more classically sounding pop track. This song will have you no doubt singing "I'm mad mad madmadmad, mad about you" over and over again.

The title track of the album is actually the most unique sounding track on the album. It sounds a bit more robotic than the rest of the album, much like Flock of Seagulls. The verses are a bit drawn out, but as always, the group has both a catchy hook and chorus to keep it afloat. I have no clue why this was chosen as the title track, however, because compared to the rest of the album, it's actually one of the weaker songs. Due to the song's awkward, non-linear feeling manner, the song actually feels like it goes on forever, which I have never said about any Alphabeat song (actually, most of the time I claim they feel too short).

My favorite track brings up the rear of the album. "Love On The Line" is just too adorable for words. It sounds like a song you would hear Tiffany sing in one of her mall tours of years past. The song is definitely not a single-ready track, but it just feels so spot on that I can't help but pick it as my top track.

As a whole the album falls just a bit short from the previous entry "The Spell", but that does not mean by any instance that I don't like the album. As a matter of fact, saying that it was just shy of being their last album actually makes it amazing, because "The Spell" is in my top five albums of all time. What would have really pushed the album over the top would have been more energetic sounding songs. Sure we have songs like "Vacation" and "The Beat Don't Stop" placed in strategically  but it still feels like it is missing something. Perhaps it is something that I cannot put my finger on at this time.

What I can say is that this album lived up to everything I wanted it to be. You can't ask for perfection every time, especially when you are as picky as I am. I know that some of the tracks I didn't enjoy as much will grow on me, and that not all music will catch on instantly with me. Not every album can be a "The Spell" or "Animal"/"Cannibal".

The album is not yet available to US residents, but I will keep everyone updated as to when it is.

Love live Alphabeat!

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad I'm not the only person who thinks Alphabeat are one of the greatest Pop groups ever. Truly they are.

    Have to say, you're pretty spot on with this review, bar one notable exception: Younger than yesterday. What are your thoughts on that track?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure pop perfection... SeaMonkey tastic!!!

    ReplyDelete