Friday, October 19, 2012

Holly Elle's "Don't Come Home" Video Debuts

I had some mixed to negative feelings about Holly's first video, "Freak", and it's over the top mess of things happening and people running about. I said previously that she should tone things down, and go for one of the slower, more meaningful songs on the EP. It looks like she followed my advice! No, my ego isn't that big, but this time around, Holly has selected a slower song with a more simple approach. And you know what? It works. Well.



First of all, let me say that "Don't Come Home" is probably my favorite song I've heard from this budding artist. The song showcases her vocal range, and it feels really genuine. The entire track borderlines on the country side of the pop spectrum, much like the sound Taylor Swift is pushing these days, but actually sounding like she had been through the subject matter of the song.

The video is incredibly simple, mostly just showing Holly singing directly into the camera, trying to keep herself smiling through the pain. The video feels incredibly real, as if she wasn't acting while filming (and if the song was from her experience, it may have brought back memories that caused her to not have to act). There are a few scenes with her looking through boxes of her ex's things and standing on a pier, but for the most part it is just different shots of her singing. The impact is a lot stronger than you would think.

I love Holly's look! She isn't a skinny-as-a-rail girl, and she isn't ashamed of it. There's nothing wrong with having curves, and this girl knows how to work it. Her wardrobe and makeup are both spot on throughout the video, letting people see a much prettier and clearer image of her when compared to "Freak." As a whole I feel this video speaks volumes, and I sincerely hope she continues in this direction.

Don't forget to check out the rest of her EP, Infinitude, on iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment