Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Remembering The Life Of Sahara Davenport

I've been staring at my computer screen blankly for the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to even go about this. Sahara Davenport was a true queen. I had been a fan of hers since I first laid eyes on her in the second season of Ru Paul's Drag Race. And now she's gone.


Yesterday, October 1, 2012, Antonie Ashley, better known as Sahara Davenport from the second season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, passed away. No details have been released so far on what exactly happened, but it seems everyone she has touched in her life has come out to show their support for both Sahara's family as well Manila Luzon and his family as well.

Now I guess it's my turn. Sahara has personally touched my life on a few different occasions. Were we really close? No, but that doesn't mean I don't care. Sahara was one of the first people to get behind the idea of Taking Over The Universe and was one of the first people I interviewed. She was always very polite about it, and was eager to help whenever I needed it. It really meant a lot to me.

I didn't get the real feel for who Sahara was until I saw her live. Back in June of this year, just four short months ago, I saw bot her and Manila live, and let me tell you, it was a sight to see. She was such an energetic person, and she was an amazing live singer. She would do high kicks and moves that I've never seen any other performer do -- in or out of drag.

Sahara will be missed by so many people, and I am certainly one of them. You don't have to be around someone all the time, or even at all to miss them. Fans everywhere have hearts full of sorrow, showing that you don't have to win the crown to win the hearts of millions. We all must remain positive about the situation, knowing that she is in a better place and is not suffering.

R.I.P. Sahara Davenport.

And from the hearts of myself, and those that are helping me every step of the way, our condolences go out to the families of those touched by this tragic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment