Tuesday, January 31, 2012

RuPaul's Drag Race - Rupocalypse Now

It's that time again. Thirteen queens have gathered together to compete for the title of America's Next Drag Superstar and the cash prize of $100,000. A lot is on the line for these girls and they've got a lot to prove -- and they'd better hurry up because the end of the world is rapidly approaching.



Introducing The Queens

I jotted down my first impressions of these girls. Unfortunately it would take ages to describe them all, so I'll give you the lowdown. PhiPhi, Princess, and Willam are hot boys. Period. Anybody who doesn't agree can leave. Madame Laqueer, Milan, and Alisia are all hot messes (not necessarily a bad thing). Sharon is HILARIOUS! As much as I thought I would hate Chad, he is a lot less pompous than I had imagined and I actually was rooting for him... And all I seem to have written down for Latrice is "what?"

Ru pulled a fun gag on the girls by having Shangela pop out of a box claiming to be back for her third season in a row, but this wasn't sitting well with the girls, so they promptly forced her back inside the box and sent her on her way!

Mini Challenge


The mini challenge for this episode was a photo shoot by Mike Ruiz, as are all the opening challenges. Continuing with the end of the world theme, the set was designed with trash and discarded objects. The pit crew, donned only in tight white underwear and gas masks sprayed the girls with "toxic waste" which was more like neon paint.

The girls wore the most horrid dresses ever for this shoot. Seriously. Other than that I don't recall a whole lot about this portion because the pit crew (carried over from season three) were so damn hot. Jiggly did fall on her ass, and the pit crew continued to spray her despite all this. I guess she impressed down there on the floor because she won this one. The first win goes to the big gurls!

Work Room Drama

  

Actually, there wasn't a lot of drama going on in this episode. We explored the past of a few of the girls, including Latrice having gone to jail for a while.  The girls I wanted to know more about got pushed aside for the ones I didn't care much for. Perhaps one day we'll know more about Willam other than Ticked Off Trannies With Knives.

There was an awkward moment with Sharon and Princess. Apparently Princess likes the quirky guys and proceeded to hit on Sharon. He said he really likes the "meth look", which Sharon actually took as a compliment. Those two seem oddly perfect for each other, don't you think?

I'm a bit saddened that two of my top picks are at odds with each other. Phi Phi apparently can't take Willam's bitchy attitude. I, on the other hand, am LIVING for her bitch side. Entering the work room after the mini challenge saying "Go Home" and being excited that "Some of these bitches fell" definitely made her the funniest person in the room. Maybe it's just funny for an outsider looking in.

Main Challenge


The main challenge for the premier episode was a doozie. They had to scavenge for clothes off of drag zombies. These zombies just so happened to be queens from previous seasons of the show. I was really happy to see Raven and Pandora Boxx among the queens. The most amusing probably had to be Ongina, who was a little less than happy to give up her items.

The main challenge was set in an old motel with some grainy filters to make it look like a horrid b-budget grindhouse movie. I have to say I freaking loved every second of it. Ru really wasn't kidding when he said they would go over the top this year. Sharon put it best -- "It's like a family reunion!"

In the end, Shangela got caught up in the mess of zombies and they ate her alive. Hopefully that will be the last of her on the show for a while.

Runway/Judging


The runway was a mixed bag. I'm not sure if it was just the confusing premise or the lack of materials, but nobody was perfect this go around. My top three for the runway were  Willam, Chad, and Sharon. Sharon's stage presence is undeniable. She was literally foaming (ok, so bleeding) at the mouth on the runway.

My least favorites were probably the worst outfits in the history of drag race. Lashauwn had a decent outfit, but her head piece was too horrible for words. I've probably made it clear by now, but I'm not a fan of Latrice. She looked cross-eyed the whole time she was on the runway. On the opposite end, I LOVE The Princess, but her Navy look just didn't do it for me at all.

To the surprise of nobody (save maybe Phi Phi), Sharon won the challenge gaining immunity for the next episode. It came down to Jiggly, who looked like a baked potato and Alisa who was a pair of boobs with legs to lip sync for their lives. Unfortunately it was Alisia's time to go.

I was really excited for this episode. The queens have had next to no time to prove themselves, so hopefully they will change my mind over the next few episodes. There are some strong looks, but as the seasons have proven in the past, one mistake can land you on a plane ride home.

As the numbers dwindle, the reviews will get tighter. There are just so many girls to keep up with for now. Give me a break, will ya?

1 comment: