Friday, January 20, 2012

MYPHNH(BS) - Cristal Snow

I'd been on the fence with this one for a while. I love Cristal Snow. I have since his try at getting on Eurovision back in 2008. The only problem is that his music isn't exactly readily available in the United States. Then the thought crossed my mind -- maybe if his US fanbase grows, he will be able to put his new music up on iTunes. So let me introduce you to your newest obsession.


Cristal Snow is a Finnish electro-pop singer. His music was on the forefront of the late 00's electronic music movement, but due to his location, he didn't get a lot of credit. He has had two albums out, "The Prophecy" and "God You Made Me Wicked". Both albums explored pop music to all of it's limits, and spawned a great deal of singles and videos.

The biggest selling point with Mr. Snow is his look. Being a former drag queen (predictable, I know), he pays great attention to his makeup and visual style. He always has some form of exaggerated eye make up or design on his face. Each of his looks get more and more drastic and over the top, pretty much meaning they get better and better.

His videos are a work of art. Many of them have storylines, such as "Killing Me" where he slowly reveals he burned down his ex's house. Others are simply breathtaking, the most prominent being "Scarred" where he sings atop a Finnish mountaintop with gorgeous scenery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, give him a chance. His stuff is all over YouTube, and he is actually a really nice person, responding to his fans on several occasions. I'm hoping that his next album will be released internationally online, at least. Until then, we will just have to admire what we can see online. I'll wrap this little article up with my favorite video from him to date - "Wicked."


No comments:

Post a Comment