Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 Universal Conquest Award Winners

Welcome one and all to the reveal of the winners for the first annual Universal Conquest Awards. This is my attempt to give the new guys, or maybe just the ones who haven't had enough attention, a bit of recognition. The music industry is a cold and cruel place. I hope that through these virtual awards, I can give recognition to those who I believe are not only doing it right but also doing it well.



Best Drag Song

Best Drag Song goes to Sahara Davenport for her song "Go Off" featuring the talented DJ Gomi. This song was a bit change from her debut, and it made a huge splash on the drag music scene. I just couldn't get over how catchy the song was, from the beat to her "EEEAAAOOOWW" animal call. And hey, with a blog that has a strong emphasis on drag queens making music, this is totally a high honor. Probably.

Album of the Year
&
Best Non-Single

This guy won two awards! My inner circle was very torn over album of the year. The way I put it was that I wanted an album where your fall in love with it over time. Much like Beyonce's "4", a truly great album takes time to saturate. "Do It In The A.M." does just that. Every time I listen through the album, I find new things to love about it, making me really regret some things I said on my review.

He also won "Best Non-Single", which apparently was a landslide. When gathering opinions on this category, I had people listen to the tracks, and everyone voted for this one. I was really shocked by the results. Honestly, "Struck By Lightning" may be my favorite track put out this year. It is one of the most realistic and honest portrayals of love I have heard in a song to date.


Best Debut

This was the only unanimous choice. I wanted it. Everyone in the circle wanted it. It was just meant to be. Young London burst on the scene from out of nowhere and have been releasing music non-stop for the past half year. They made it to the front page of iTunes pop cold turkey (even they were surprised). These guys are destined to make amazing pop music.


Song of the Year

I'm not sure if I am surprised by this or not. This was the only category that was open to public voting. "(We Do It) Primo" won by a landslide -- over 25% of the vote. Her fans really know how to Make It Go. I really do love the song. It was part of the inspiration to start doing a Song of the Week, so this title really feels like the right fit for my blog. Colette is an inspiration to me, personally. We are around the same age (so young and beautiful) and she is proving that you don't have to be old to accomplish what you want. She is an amazing rapper and singer with a legion of fans and a budding store to sell all kinds of nifty accessories. Knowing this is what keeps me going and keeps my hope alive when people try to tear me down.


Song of the Year (Editor's Pick)
Kwanza Jones is another big inspiration of mine. Coming in second place on the voter's poll, I really was pushing for it to win, too. Kwanza is such a beautiful person, inside and out, and this song marks a huge turning point in her career. Called her "Ah-hah" moment, she realized that this is the kind of music she should be doing. She paired this amazing sound with a positive message (without being too preachy) and created the Kwanza you hear today. My choice of this song is a combination of pure love and admiration for her, the style and timing of the song, and the positive vibes this song sends to all who listen.  

I'd like to take one moment to give a big shout out to my good friend Wade of Turboturbo. He designed both the official Taking Over The Universe logo and the official Universal Conquest Awards logo. He also did the last minute request to have the logo and award titles added to the artwork. I appreciate and owe him more than anyone could ever know. Without him, these awards wouldn't be possible... Ok, so they would be possible but they would look really lame.

Thank you for reading and thank you for all of your support. If you think I missed something crucial, use your fingers and get to typing me an email next time. I always respond to those wanting to share new artists with me. All you have to do is click that "suggestions" tab at the top of the page and read the guidelines. A huge thank you goes out to those making music, regardless of what genre or quality. You are what breathes life into this blog, and the lives and dreams of people around the world. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment