Thursday, January 1, 2015

Top Five - What TOTU Missed In 2014

Admittedly, for most of 2014, Taking Over The Universe was out of commission. There was so much that happened in the first three quarters of the year that I didn't have the chance to comment on, so I decided that the first day of 2015 will be dedicated to me missing out on all the greatness that was this previous year. I've selected five things that are the biggest regrets I have as for what I missed this past year.

5. "The Pee Pee Dance" by Adam Barta (Featuring Vivacious)




Oh, Adam. You never fail to make me laugh. This video was passed along to me just before the return, but by the time I cleared time for it, Adam has moved onto his next big thing. This video is probably my favorite of Adams in the past few years because it's both funny, and done on his own. Sure it had Drag Race vet Vivacious turning up, but the song itself is all Adam. This is what I'd been asking for. No Octomom. No Tan Mom. No Angelina. No fake Kim Kardashian. Just Adam. This is the real way I wanted to start off the year.


 4. Black Kids return with "Origami"






Although I really wanted this in 2013, I was glad to have it happen about in 2014. "Origami" is a really fun track that gives fans of Black Kids everything they've been waiting all these years for. It's like they never stopped. This song really feels like something that could have easily fit in on their debut album. Even though we haven't heard anything from them since August, it's still nice to know that one of my favorite bands of all time had made a slight comeback, including a tour. Here's to having more of this fivesome in 2015.

3. Liz Primo and Markus Schulz debut "Blown Away"






It's no secret that I love Liz Primo. Nowadays, it's also no secret that I love Markus Schulz. Thus, it's pretty obvious that I loved this track. Liz has always been a sweetheart, and while I did discuss the track with her briefly in our interview back in October, I really didn't have much of a visual to go on. This video and song are absolutely perfect. I do love the original version of the track, but having a big single out at the same time as being named DJ of the year is a pretty big deal, and sadly it was overlooked here at TOTU. No more!

2. Frankmusik's new album By Nicole




Unfortunately, By Nicole is the only Frankmusik album that I have not had the pleasure of listening to upon it's first release. I have recently gone back and given the album a listen, and I can honestly say it's not my favorite Frankmusik album, but with such a reputable discography, Tracks such as "Stabilizher" and "Dear Nicole" really make this album feel like the old Frankmusik that fans hadn't heard in a very long time. Couple that with a guest appearance from Natasha Bedingfield, and you've got a great album. Missing this was one of my biggest regrets, but nowhere near as big as the next.

1. The Return (and quick re-departure) of Danity Kane


Danity Kane was my young adult life. Their albums were the soundtrack to the years critical to shaping me to be who I am today. That is why I was over the moon when I heard that they would be coming back. I didn't even care that they didn't have all the members (I mean Aubrey was still there). I had my dream come true and I was getting not only a new single, but a whole new album.

And then they broke up again, returning my life to misery and decay.

So it's not that big of a deal, but I did love the girls with all of my heart. This group was one of the best female groups of all time, and nobody today compares. At least we got the album they had been working on, DK3.

There was so much I missed this past year, and I am hereby pledging to to better with the coming 2015. This year has a lot of promise, and hopefully we will see great things come from some of the TOTU favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment