Sunday, June 30, 2013

Song of the Month - Levi Kreis "Gonna Be Alright"

Imagine this: I was writing up a story on this artist, Levi Kreis, about his new single "Gonna Be Alright" when the media splashed with the news that DOMA had been stricken down. Homosexuals can now get married (where legal, obviously) and not have to call it something like "domestic partnership". This is for real. "Everything's going to be alright," I said. Awkwardly enough I was singing along to this track when I said that. Point is, this song fits so perfectly with this month, that I've dubbed it June's song!


This track isn't exactly new. It's actually from Levi's 2009 album, Where I Belong, but it has been redone to a point that it's nearly unrecognizable. The vocals have been updated, the beats are pulsing, and it has magically become a club banger. Another odd thing about this song is that there's no "real" version of it. By this I mean there are a lot of mixes, but no original version aside from the '09 one. For the time being, the "Jared Jones 2k13 Radio Mix" is being used for the basic analysis of the track.

What I love about this song is that it really is an anthem for LGBT Pride -- which is the month of June by the way -- and this combined with the recent triumphs in the US Supreme Court -- really make this song have a much more special meaning. It is a message of hope to the community (whether or not that was it's original intention) and it gives us what we all want: Something to shake our booties to. Someone back me up here!

With both the choosing of this song, as well as it's message that I hope to continue sharing, I wish everyone a Happy Pride! I have worked hard at TOTU to point out as many of the positive aspects of LGBT in today's music and television. I hope everyone, LGBT, straight, or otherwise, can see what positivity the homosexual community has to offer.

You can also grab the track on iTunes now!

No comments:

Post a Comment