Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Interview: Dina Delicious Is Truly Outrageous

Yes, that is a Jem and the Holograms reference. Yes, I do understand that as a 21 year old male, I shouldn't even know what that show is, but get over it. No big deal. We are actually going to talk with Dina Delicious today. She's taking New York by storm in the nightlife and all over pride month. She got two hot singles and another to come. She is the definition of outrageous, and I can't get enough. Soon, you won't be able to, either.



  I know it is a stage name, but how did you get the name Dina Delicious?

It was a bunch of friends joking. They called me Delish and DD, so I just used it. I thought it was fun so we went with it.

Although the main point of this interview is about the music, I wanna talk for a moment about being a transgendered artist. How is putting yourself out there for the average American?

I don't really think about it, to be honest. I try not to think of the negative because it affects you. I don't want to be consumed with that sort of thought. I create whatever I want and let it go. I've worked in a lot of nightclubs, and some of them were straight one, so I've never felt separate. I just don't "go there". If I thought about it, it would be a crutch to me, and I don't think that being transgender is a crutch.

A lot of slang words get thrown around the internet. Do words like "Tranny" offend you?

I kind of take it in stride. Words only have power if you let them. It also depends on if people are using it offensively, you know what I mean? If they were using it as an attack I might be offended, but jokes are jokes. I don't believe in knocking people down.

Back to the reason we're here: Your music. Let's start with the song I missed -- Bubble Wrap. How did that song go over with the community?

I got very positive feedback, especially from here in New York. I still enjoy performing that song today. I'm actually working on a whole bunch of remixes for that song, so when I go on my promotional tour this summer, I can pick which one I want to include to go with the sound as a whole. Bubble Wrap is a song about breaking free and getting away from stereotypes people put you in. It's about letting loose and everything will be ok. I feel it's empowering. I love it, and I always will. It was my first release,  though it wasn't the first I recorded.

Why for the second song did you opt to do a cover instead of another original song?

I had so much written as far as demos, but a friend and I were sitting and having a conversation about music. I confessed I wanted to do  a cover song and do something I could make my own in my own way. I wanted a song I could add a fresh sound to. We came up with Two Of  Hearts from nowhere and I was like "Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Let's do it." Two weeks later, I was recording it. It also opened people up to me, because most already know the song. They get to know me, and there is so much to come after this. I see it as a gateway for me.

The reaction to this song is crazy! You've been the top story on Taking Over The Universe for two weeks, had fans remixing it, and a lot of people talking about it. How does it feel?

It's really taken off. It's exciting! It feels amazing. People got that I didn't want to take the song and do it totally differently. I was paying homage to it while updating it at the same time. I didn't want to change the chords or feels. It was a different way of doing music for me, and I was really happy with the results. I was nervous to release it because people loved the original. I'm glad they respect both of the versions.

Has there been a response from Stacey Q?

No, I haven't heard yet. I hope she loves it.

Will we get a video for Two of Hearts?

The thing with Two of Hearts, as far as a video, is that it requires a different license.  We are still waiting on that, and I'm dying to do a video. I have the rights to the song, but I don't have the rights to do a video for Youtube. If I do get the rights, I will do one.

Do you have a concept yet?

I'm always thinking. I don't wanna give it all away now.

Two of Hearts is still pretty fresh, but I'm told you already have another single ready to come
out?

Oh yeah! I have a track we are mixing called "Black Widow". That will be released probably mid July. What I want to do with that is release it for free for all the fans.

What kind of song is it?

It's very dance-pop style. Not so much dub[step], but there will be a little probably. It's a very dance, middle-finger-in-your-face kind of song. It's not about love. [laughs]

As an indie artist, it's gotta be hard to pull it all together -- both financially and simply getting things done. How have you been able to get it all done?
I'm very disciplined. I have to pull it together. Unfortunately as an independent artist, I have to work a job. It's not all about making music. I don't have anyone doing my bookings or promos, so I basically do it myself. I always commit a few hours a day to my schedules, bookings, and other things regarding the music. I always try to be a month ahead, but it's a lot of work. I don't think people understand how hard it can be without management or a label backing. It is fulfilling, though, because I get to know people I might not be able get in touch with on a major label.

I know you just rocked Queens Pride, but I understand you've got even more in store for June.

Let's do a quick rundown of June in New York City.

June 7th: F-Word @ Splash
June 9th: Skybox
June 23rd: Van Damme
June 30th: Co-hosting and closing for Pridefest.

1 comment: