Monday, June 24, 2013

Sorry I Missed It - BearForce1 Lead Goes Solo As Circuit21

It's been a while since I've done a segment for "Sorry I Missed It", but with all due respect, I have been doing my best, more so than ever, to stay on top of my game. This one, as a matter of fact, is in some weird limbo between something I missed and something that isn't even out yet. Don't understand? Well I guess I'll have to explain, won't I. For now, check out Circuit21's debut single "Love In The Shadows".



The singer look familiar? Well that's because he was in the uber popular YouTube sensation Bear Force One. Sure, their song was silly and they didn't do too much to further gay culture, but they did educate a lot of people on what bears are, right? Well the lead singer has gone solo under the name Circuit21 and is here to serve you 80s pop. Straight up.

What I mean by that is the track is actually a cover. It's a classic 80s track by E.G. Daily. This version is a much more amped up and techno-fied version, but the core lyrics and vibe are certainly there. To his credit, he picked a great song for his voice, even if it isn't a song I would expect from a member of their group. I can say that I like that he's taking a more serious approach to music this go around, and I hope it works out for him in the long run.

The video, however, has left me feeling a bit mixed up. It is good, don't get me wrong. It has a lot of great effects, and has a great sort of juxtaposition to real vibe of the song (though the lyrics balance it out a tad), but I can't help but think I've seen this before. I feel like I've seen all of this in a move called Repo: The Genetic Opera. The cyberpunk vibe, the electronic eyes, and the hologram projecting the singer are all things I've seen before, and I can't help but think it is track that could have had a much different and more original video.

What I meant earlier about it kind of being new, too, is that the song itself hasn't been released yet. The video uses a special remix of the track by Cahill, and the real version will be available July 28. It is also worth mentioning that his debut solo album "Eventually" is set to release towards the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment