Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Colette Carr Drops The Bass

No, she didn't turn to making dubstep, that just happens to be the title of the newest track she has put up on SoundCloud. Well to be exact, it is actually titled "(B)A$$", but I don't feel like the styling of the word should matter all that much. Check out her newest rap piece below.





Different right? I had not expected this out of Colette. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even sound much like her. I can't put my finger on it, but this song sounds like someone trying to sound like cCarr as opposed to being actually her. Maybe they put some new vocal effect on her track, but something is definitely different about this one.

The song follows along the same vein as her more rap tracks such as "Back It Up" and "Like I Got A Gun", moreso the latter in that it is another song trying to break away from some of her more silly songs by making a song that is a bit more serious and drops a few f-bombs along the way. I have a love-hate relationship with her pure rap songs. I love them because it's what she is good at and she sounds incredibly natural when she is flowing, but I hate it too, because she makes some amazing pop tracks such as "No I.D." and "(We Do It) Primo". To love Colette is to love both, and that is why I welcome new tracks with open arms.

There is no word yet on if this song is a single, or just a promo track/demo. My opinion is that it might be an album track, as she had similar songs in her mixtape "Sex Sells Stay Tooned". The song fails to break the usual standard of three minutes (by around 20 seconds, which is a lot of time for a song), so I don't really see this being a single.

If she keeps on this route, we will all have heard and memorized every track on her debut album by the time it comes out. It may sound bad, but the more I think about it, it is actually kind of genius. Well played, Ms. Carr. Well played, indeed.

2 comments: