Saturday, September 1, 2012

Album Review - Side FX "Spin Me Ever After"

Usually I go about reviewing albums a particular way. I buy them, and write up a review upon my first listen. This time was different for an array of reasons, but mostly because I really like this album. It's got so many hidden meanings in the lyrics, great beats, and shining vocals. This one is quite the catch, and from a group that needs more exposure, so of course I'm all over it. This time, it's Kim Cameron with her band Side FX in their new smash "Spin Me Ever After".



The album opens up with it's title track, "Spin Me Ever After" in what should be listened to in high quality head phones so that the growing beats can be truly appreciated. This song serves as a statement to the listener that they have gone full-on electro-pop, from which they edged into with their previous EP, "The Blondside".The song has a very sexual feel to it, but avoids being overly obvious about this, leaving out anything explicit like what is found in much of today's pop music.

The second song on the album is my favorite of the bunch. "I'm Waiting" is about stalking someone that you want so desperately to talk to, but you don't want to make the first move. The song isn't exactly high energy, but it draws me in every time I listen to it, and it leaves me wanting more. Lucky for me, the rest of the album delivers this to me. Songs like "Spinning Stars" and "We've Got The Rhythm" deliver that pop style that I crave in music I listen to.

That's not to say they have abandoned their old style entirely. Being a rock-n-roller at heart, Kim didn't abandon the guitars and drums all together for the synth. "A Little Romance" has a beautiful guitar piece to it, sandwiched nicely between a steady drum beat and a synth line that doesn't over power the rest of the work.

Bringing up the rear for the album is the stand out track "The Man I Used To Know". This track is different in it's heavy use of auto-tune, which I actually don't mind at all. Kim has proven she can sing, so why shouldn't she have fun and push the limits of what she and her band can do? I am a big fan of going out with a bang, which is probably my only real complaint with the album. I think this would have been better placed in the middle of the album because it is so different. When listening to the album straight through, it leaves you with an awkward sense of "what did I just listen to?" as opposed to "That is definitely Side FX!" Get what I'm saying?

What really ties "Spin Me Ever After" together is Kim Cameron herself. She did the writing for all of the songs and is the vocalist for them all as well. Her voice is a very calming, even against such upbeat and poppy back beats. The only person who I could really compare her to would be Debbie Harry, but even then it's a stretch because she has a voice of her own.

The album has a recurring theme of using the word "spin" in various different ways. The motif is used as a key element to tie the album together, and along with the recurring theme of love, it really makes the album feel like an adventure. The physical version of the album is mixed more smoothly than the online version, making each song flow into each other seamlessly.

You can buy the album digitally on iTunes!

1 comment:

  1. It's an amazing CD. There are two songs I really love; "Another Night"is fantastic. "My Fantasy" is more relaxing, mellow -- I was listening to this in a friends car and it made the long ride worth it. Speaking of which, another friend could not get enough of "The Man I Used to Know". This CD will go very far. Mark my words on this!

    ReplyDelete