Monday, June 25, 2012

Song of the Week - Ruin

I think I should start this one off by saying until about an hour ago, I had no idea who Cat Power was. I was simply looking through iTunes for new music to jam to. I recognized the name, but I had never listened to anything by her. That being said, I have no regrets making this Song of the Week.


"Ruin" is Cat Power's big return to music, not having released any original material in over six years, leaving her fans itching for more. Luckily my timing has me coming in at the exact right time, because this single is fantastic. The vocals are light, airy, and relaxed, allowing for the feeling of the song to truly shine through while still being appealing to the ears.

The lyrics are laced with political statements like "complaining from some people who ain’t got shxt to eat"show that the song really does have a message behind it, but it can be clouded at times by her low-key vocals. It's easy to get lost in the easy feel of the song and over look the true meaning of the song, which is a bit unclear even when you do get curious enough to look up the lyrics.

Confusing or not, the track has a great piano part, blending the genres and catering to both past and future fans of her work. The upcoming album "Sun" is highly anticipated, and even caught the eye of this blogger. Unfortunately there are no previews for the other album tracks on iTunes yet, but you can still get the single and preorder the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment